C.G. Drews's Reviews > Legendary

Legendary by Stephanie Garber

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult

Do you know what is an absolute magical delicious delight?! THIS BOOK. There is no hope for me btw, I am completely gone. I'm just so in love with this world, these characters, the twisty plots of magic and mind games and darkness and glitter...it is EVERYTHING. It just captures me so much! Coupled with gorgeous writing that makes you feel like you, too, get to experience Caraval?!

10000% all my affections are YOURS, little book, I'm ready to be destroyed for the finale. Who needs calmness anyway. [chokes on a laugh and dies]

+ I was really excited that we get to have another game of Caraval!
This time it's set in a different town, different rules, different stakes = but it's still so intoxicatingly mysterious and twisty. This is like one of my favourite Slytherin books. NO ONE is being straightforward. It's all double-crossing the double crossed and outwitting someone who's already playing tricks on you. Who's lying???? Who's who they say they are??? WE DON'T GET TO KNOW. I freaking love this.

+ It's narrated by Tella this time.
Thank you, lifesaver, because holy heck, Tella is AWESOME. (And I won't lie lmao, Scarlett was so whiny and such a damsel in book one that I nearly broke a plate and ate through a brick wall.) Tella is refreshingly herself. She kisses boys without a care and wears murderously gorgeous dresses and is unapologetic. Also she doesn't judge Scarlett for being an opposite and Scarlett doesn't judge her. TheSE SISTERS. THANK YOU. And I also loved how Tella is caught between playing games and actually fiercely caring about things. The whole book she's like: "I dO NOT LOVE" while, ya know, furiously loving so so many people.

YOU'RE GOING TO GET HURT, TELLA, AND I'LL CRY WITH YOU.

+ The sisters!! Can we !! flail over the !! sister bonds!!
Family is like such a huge theme for these books! Scarlett would do anything for Tella and Tella would do anything for Scarlett. AND her mother! Like Tella just really wants to find her long-lost-mother. And also the fact that Scarlett/Tella are survivors of abuse and they like support each other and listen is really really awesome afjdkslad. Bring me all the sister stories. Reminds me that I'd sell all my sisters for a grape but I DON'T CARE. I APPRECIATE THE FICTIONAL ONES.

+ Okay but all the boys?! They were beautiful and also probably evil.
I love it. This is like the right way to write devious and dark boys...it's not all alpha/abusive/relationships. (THANK YOOOOU.) It's mind games and sinister magic and otherworldly powers and manipulation. Livin' for the Slytherins here. LIVIN FOR IT. Also I totally loved Dante, who works in Caraval but maybe/maybe doesn't love Tella. Their relationship is so love/hate and trust/distrust, but it played out so well. And infuriatingly. I will sCREAM a little, but it's ok.

Also Jacks was a freaking nightmare but also so interesting. Also he ate a lot of apples and was so pale he was nearly blue and 100% an otherworldly demon. But why so many apples Jacks. I have eaten pears for like 3 months straight and now can't touch them again. Do not ruin apple pie for yourself, you dumb son, look at me looking out for the villains. I can't even.

+ THE MAGIC!!
This time we have cursed cards and Fates who are trying to be let free. And also there's the eternal question of: WHO IS LEGEND. (I knooooow now afjdklafds I KNOW!!!) And every question and mystery and complicated messy subplot was tied up so gorgeously.

I'M JUST A WHOLE PLATE OF GUSHING ADORATION RIGHT NOW. UGH. LOOK AT ME GO.

+ And the ending?!
Both satisfying and torturous. I want morrrre and I'm slightly suffocating with the need to find out what happens next. I think (I heard?!) both Scarlett and Tella will narrate the next one and I'm !!! excited!! (view spoiler)

ALL IN ALL: This was an enthralling read of magic and puzzles, with the most intoxicating plot and characters I just couldn't get enough of. I was glued to this page. My eyeballs are in LOVE with the gorgeously lush writing. The gowns! The flowers! The jewels! The richness dripping off the page in perfect descriptions! GAH. Everything about this caught my heart.

** Quotes taken from the ARC**

Scarlett was Tella's person -- the one someone in the world whom Tella could always count on. Tella might not have believed in falling love, but she had literally bet her life that Scarlett loved her. Tella would destroy the world before she allowed anything to happen to her sister.

Every dish imaginable, from honeycomb towers with edible flowers to a candied pig with an apple in its mouth, was present. There were miniature fruit trees growing out of chocolate-dipped plumbs and brown-sugar-glazed peaches. Wedges of cheese peeking out of miniature treasure chests made of pastry. Upside-down turtle shells filled with soup. Finger sandwiches shaped like actual fingers. colourful plates of salted pink and red radishes. Water with lavender bubbles, and peach-coloured wine with berries at the bottom of the glass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legendary.

June 11, 2018 – Started Reading
June 11, 2018 – Shelved
June 11, 2018 –
page 35
7.76% "*tries weakly to remember the ending of Caraval*"
June 12, 2018 –
page 200
44.35% "Honestly this is gorgeous and Tella doesn't spend the whole time whining so like !!! and all the boys are beautiful probably evil !! we have been blessed"
June 12, 2018 –
page 245
54.32% "Legend: this game could kill you
Dante: hm yep you're probably going to die
Jacks: you'll diiiiiie
Tella: I am not dealing with any of you until aFTER I EAT MY BREAKFAST."
June 13, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star
June 13, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
June 13, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
June 13, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Jess The Bookworm Great review, I am dying to read this one!

Evelyn I just started this and already loving it! This review makes me want to continue really badly

C.G. Drews It's just SO GOOD!! I am so impressed and in love with this world!

message 4: by Ally (new)

Ally (The Scribbling Sprite) Ok, you've convinced me to read this series XD

C.G. Drews @Ally: My work here is done hhhaha 😂😂

Lilly I'm so excited to hear this, I've had my hopes up all year for Legendary!!

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I love this book.

C.G. Drews Just a gorgeous work of art ahhhh!!

Sydney Hammersky ❤️That ending...

Natalie why so many apples lol I loved this review

Sofie Novak Yep, I officially hate Scarlett.

Akithroughbooks Am I the only one who likes Jacks for Tella? I'M SORRY OKAY

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I like Jacks just...in general. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In all his evil. Help me I'm so sorry (BUT AM I)

Whitney Grace I looooove Dante. I ship them so hard.
Also, with Jacks, I HATED him in the beginning. He was sexually harassing her at the ball. But as the book went on, I liked him more and more because he's funny.

message 15: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I’m so glad someone likes Tella as much as I do. She just seemed so much more REAL to me than Scarlett

message 16: by Veronikah (new)

Veronikah ok ok I need to know this DESPERATELY: does this book end in a cliffhanger-esque way as Caraval did?? because I need to be PREPARED! D:

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby thank you for putting my feelings about this book into words :)