Kirstie's Reviews > The Wicked King

The Wicked King by Holly Black

bookshelves: fantasy, fairy-tale, paralell-worlds, quiltbag-characters, strong-female-characters, young-adult

So I'm strolling along through this book (figuratively obviously), thinking "the twists this time are a bit meh, kinda saw them coming and in some cases kinda disappointed Jude herself didn't see that coming either" eg/ (view spoiler), and then the last approximately 2 hours of the book happened and bam! That shut me up fast. I had to open the store this moring and was actually still listening to the last half hour while at work (at least before I opened the doors and started serving customers anyway ;p )

I assume this is a trilogy, because it's the appropriate, everything just got DARK, here is your 'blackest moment' for the ending (well except for the epilogue showing Jude watching Yuri On Ice, that gave me such joy and is possibly the only reason I wasn't passed out on the store carpet unable to open the shop ;p ).

The characters in this are so stellar, Jude and Cardan especially, holding and struggling with all their conflicting feelings (and not just for each other, (but also that! that sexual tension, omnomnomnomnom)) and more fool me (mild spoiler -->)I thought that last thirty minutes was going to go down happily >.<

I was also super excited to get that tiny little hint of the Bomb and the Roach and their history. Also the return of Aurianna and (view spoiler). Black does not neglect her side characters.

Also, I know I mentioned it before, but it gives me such joy that in the epilogue it was quite obvious they were watching Yuri On Ice, because that is the sort of thing I do (at least when I write in modern settings ;p ). I've had characters watching Attack on Titan, My Neightbor Totoro, and Sailor Moon - and not to mention the mahou shojo-style novella I'm still working on where characters non-stop reference magical girl anime. So it gives me joy to a/ know Holly Black must be an otaku too(and quite probably fujoshi), b/ know a traditionally published author has successfully inserted anime references into her book. Also, I've been thinking since the last book how much her twists were all crazy anime-style table flippers, and now I think I know why ;p

I am soooooo ready for book three, and just glad there are so many books on my TBR so that I might be able to sufficiently distract myself until Queen of Nothing comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked King.

June 11, 2018 – Shelved
January 13, 2019 – Shelved as: quiltbag-characters
January 13, 2019 – Shelved as: strong-female-characters
January 13, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Marianna I read The Cruel Prince on your blog recommendation and now I'm going to have to blow even more time on the sequel!!! Arrrrgghh! When will I ever find time to write??? (Just kidding. Your book recommendations are fab)

Kirstie lol Marianna, my secret is audiobooks. If you read while cleaning, hanging out the washing, and driving, then what used to be reading time can be writing time. I know I've said this before, just saying it again, trying to entice you to come over to the dark side ;p

My problem is I have to wait until NEXT JANUARY for the next volume >.< lucky my TBR is so large and luxurious, I can drown in that and hopefully not die waiting so long ;p