ChuCha's Reviews > I Know It's Over

I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin

Dec 01, 2011

Read from December 04 to 06, 2011

I Know It’s Over, a story told from a boy’s point of view is quite refreshing for a change – good thing Nick has a voice that I could tolerate inside my brain.

I have never met a more sensitive, in love, angry, frustrated and confused protagonist as Nick. His summer was supposed to be PURE, UNPLANNED, PERFECT. Until the ex-girlfriend shows up in his front doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant.

I Know It’s Over deals honestly and threaded carefully in the reality of the problems of today’s teens: sex, divorce, teen pregnancy, sexuality, relationships, drugs and abortion. I like how C.K. Kelly Martin described Sasha and Nick’s first time – it wasn’t sugar coated with pleasure and nice feelings, instead it was awkward and uncomfortable for the both of them. It made them feel weird and uneasy after.

Sasha’s decision was a surprise – I don’t think it was the right one but the author rationalized it perfectly that you’d see the point she was making. She was selfish, in a way. But it was her life, she is going to live with the decision she will make for the rest of her life. It was a reality slap that a baby – although a blessing, it is also a responsibility. A responsibility that will by faced by two sixteen years old who are currently in school. Can they do it? Are they both of them ready to become good parents?

While other boys at the prime of their teens would run the opposite direction, Nick, stood firm in his ground and expressed his willingness to be a part of the pregnancy. This is one thing I admire most about him. I loved the way he love Sasha, it was raw, real, and intense but not to the point of obsession. He still wants her back, but somehow he was trying to grasp the fact that nothing is going to be the same again and that he needs to move on with life as well. He was a kind friend, being there for Nathan who was as confused as he is for a very different reason. There was Jillian, who was as problematic as him and wanted a distraction. She was a great listener for someone who is desperate to share his emotions.

I Know It’s Over’s ending was pretty amazing – it made my heart ache. It wasn’t the expected happily ever after – but you will forgive C.K. Kelly Martin because it was beautifully written that it’ll touch you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know It's Over.

Quotes ChuCha Liked

C.K. Kelly Martin
“You spend months barely acknowledging someone's existence and then BOOM, you're emotionally addicted to her. Science would probably blame it on chemicals, genetics or something equally logical, but it didn't feel like anything logical”
C.K. Kelly Martin, I Know It's Over

C.K. Kelly Martin
“Things never go wrong at the moment you expect them to. When you're completely relaxed, oblivious to any potential dangers, that's when bad things happen.”
C.K. Kelly Martin, I Know It's Over