Lola's Reviews > Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History

Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch

Dec 01, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed, nonfiction, owned, world-history, history
Recommended for: History teachers, conspiracy theory believers and critics

I stumbled across this at a home goods store. While my mom looked at a bunch of random crap we don't actually need, I dug through a huge crate of books that were ridiculously marked down. Amongst the new Ann Brashare book and some truly horrible teen lit, I found this. It was a year, however, until I read it. I'm glad I did.

This was an excellent study of not only some of the the greatest conspiracy theories in the history of the world but also how conspirators can hold on to their theories despite all evidence of it being untrue. From Pearl Harbor to JFK and Marilyn to Princess Diana, this offers a fascinating look at how conspiracy theories have shaped our world's histories and views. What is truly startling is how so many people still believe in these theories despite evidence to the contrary. Growing up in post 9-11 definitely helps see the point of these theories though.

The only bad thing about this book is that the chapters drag on a little bit. Some of the theories weren't as interesting or well known and therefore not as easy to get through. Otherwise, this is an excellent read and something I'd recommend to both people who believe in conspiracies theories and those who don't. It's enlightening for both sides.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voodoo Histories.

August 23, 2011 –
December 1, 2011 – Shelved
page 83
page 123
page 123
30.75% "Onto JFK conspiracies! This oughta be good!"
December 2, 2011 –