Ruth's Reviews > Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda

Jun 26, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own, memoir-read
Recommended for: my friends
Read in April, 2006

Of all the books I've read in my life so far, this one has had the biggest impact. The rest of the world ignored the genocide in Rwanda, but he stayed and did everything possible to save lives. This is a must read for anyone interested in Rwanda. I didn't stop crying for days after I finished, because of the international indifference of a country in crisis, and the over 800,000 lives lost in 100 days. There is a documentary of the same name in which he goes back to Rwanda for the 10th anniversary in 2004 (It won an award in Sundance 2005 along with an Emmy) And it's a feature film that was released on September 2007 at the Toronto International Film Festival. The film was heartbreaking and hard to watch but it's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shake Hands with the Devil.

Quotes Ruth Liked

Roméo Dallaire
“I know there is a God because in Rwanda I shook hands with the devil. I have seen him, I have smelled him and I have touched him. I know the devil exists and therefore I know there is a God.”
Roméo Dallaire, Shake Hands With The Devil
tags: god

Roméo Dallaire
“Peux ce que veux. Allons-y.”

Roméo Dallaire
“Many signs point to the fact that the youth of the Third World will no longer tolerate living in circumstances that give them no hope for the future. From the young boys I met in the demobilization camps in Sierra Leone to the suicide bombers of Palestine and Chechnya, to the young terrorists who fly planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, we can no longer afford to ignore them. We have to take concrete steps to remove the causes of their rage, or we have to be prepared to suffer the consequences.”

Roméo Dallaire
“If I decide to make a career in the army, he said, I would never be rich, but I would live one of the most satisfying lives there was to be had. Then
he warned me that satisfaction would come at a great cost to me and any family I might have. I should never expected to be thanked; a soldier, if he was going to be content, had to understand that no civilian, no government,
sometimes not even the army itself, would recognize the true nature of the scarifies he made.”

Roméo Dallaire
“I was on the ground, I was in command, I had been given the mission, and I took the decision.”
tags: rwanda