Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)'s Reviews > Just One of the Royals

Just One of the Royals by Leah Rooper

it was ok
bookshelves: arc-reviews, contemporary, chic-lit, young-adult

Note that I had no idea this was the second book to a series. Although this had been the case, the story was still easy to follow and was quite entertaining. In tradition to "The Princess Diaries" (except the main character is a prince), the story follows Daniel (an illegitimate son and heir to a throne) and Madison (an immigrant with a dream).

It was interesting to read about the thoughts of a secret prince and the other POV from Madison. They were similar to each other as they were both hesitant to act on what they wanted: their hopes and dreams as well as what they felt for each other. Unfortunately, the romance did not satisfy me, nor did it want me to keep me reading. While the book had been fun to read about (at least for a while), I wasn't a fan of the romance trope used in the novel. I ended up feeling bored and it just didn't seem genuine to me. Ironically, there just wasn't enough chemistry (in my opinion).

There was also a moment when I had no interest in reading about these characters. After a while, I grew exasperated with the juvenile voice (and sometimes thoughts) of these characters. Hence, I realized that this book just wasn't for me. In general, the romance and plot was predictable and formulaic. It just didn't stood out to me. Even if this was the case, I'd recommend this to story for the friendship aspect and the influence of "The Princess Diaries" with sports (hockey).

**Huge thanks to the publisher for approving my request to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One of the Royals.

Started Reading