Anjaliparmar's Reviews > Before We Were Free

Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez

U 50x66
Dec 01, 2011

liked it

This award-winning novel “Before we were Free” by the author Julia Alvarez comes down to a story of a twelve-year old named Anita de la Torre living in the Dominican Republic in 1960. A place with tall palm trees and beautiful sights with tropical warm water. It’s where you’d want to experience paradise.
But in this dramatic novel, Anita and her family are disrupted by the departure of the cousins moving to America. Along with the mysterious disappearance of the handsome young uncle, and Papa getting strange phone calls about butterflies. Someone by the name of Mr. Smith and the secret police start terrifying her family for the opposition to the country’s dictator. This novel will keep you busy flipping through pages until it’s finally finished! Anita deals with frightening events, struggling for her personal flight to be free. She is a strong and wise girl, which is what I really like about her because she keeps sticking with her freedom. Her father wants her to have the freedom, he specifically says, “promise me you’ll spread your wings and fly” while tucking her in bed. Will she end up with the freedom she wants?
Lastly, the author is a very successful Latina writer publishing five novels including “Before we were Free”. She found inspiration of her work from a small painting in 1984. She lives with her husband in Vermont, where she is a writer-in-residence at Middlebury College.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Free.