Siria's Reviews > Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling

Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling by Emer McLysaght

liked it
bookshelves: 21st-century, irish-fiction, romance

The best parts of Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling are probably also what limit its audience: its sharp, warm dissection of a particular kind of culture clash between rural and urban Ireland. Emer McLysaght and Sarah Breen have a great ear for dialogue, and I could absolutely picture the eponymous Aisling (down to her West Coast Coolers, fondness for Going Out Out tops and jeans, and disdain for notions and UHT milk—she is essentially what Americans would call a Basic White Girl), but I imagine that a lot of the references and even turns of phrase would be completely baffling to non-Irish people. There's also frustratingly little by way of character/relationship development which means that the ending deposits the reader back at square one but pretends to be something new. I think the book would have worked a lot better if McLysaght and Breen had been a little more willing to break with chicklit tropes and had Aisling be properly single at the end. Diverting, but not one to come back to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling.

June 10, 2018 – Started Reading