Meredith's Reviews > Good Luck with That

Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

Good Luck with That takes a sensitive and compassionate approach to the very uncomfortable topics of body image and eating disorders. This emotional and compelling read focuses on friendship, family, and love. Most importantly, it’s about self-worth and self-acceptance.

Georgia, Emerson, and Marley met when they were teenagers at a weight loss camp. Years later they reunite, but it is not a happy reunion as Emerson is on her deathbed due to obesity-related issues. She urges Georgia and Marley to complete the “Things We’ll Do When We're Skinny” list that they made while at summer camp. In order to complete the list, Georgia and Marley must face their fears and let others see who they really are.

Georgia, Emerson, and Marley put on the appearance they are happy, but internally they are dealing with a constant struggle. We learn about what led Emerson to the point of no return through her diary. All three are dangerously obsessive about their weight, to the point it consumes them. It costs one character her marriage and another her life.

This is my first Kristan Higgins book and it will not be my last; her characterization was exceptional! I didn't want this book to end--I was obsessed with these character’s lives. This is a very sad and dark read, but there’s a lot of humor and sweetness woven in. I found myself laughing and crying pretty often. I appreciated how these characters didn’t miraculously shed the pounds and have their lives change for the better, which is something that I have seen happen in other novels.

I’m not going to lie-- there are several uncomfortable, hard to read moments. Perhaps in some ways, it is too real and hits too close to home. At times, generalizations are made about weight, and while this can be irksome this is a work of fiction and not a scholarly text. The wonderful thing about books is that readers can offer different perspectives and points of view. While some might glean one message, others might not; thus, what works for one reader might not work for another. In order to fully understand this book, one must read it in its entirety before making any judgments. This reader found Good Luck with That to be a moving and meaningful read!

Thank you to Elisha at Berkley Publishing Group for sending me an ARC of this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Luck with That.

June 9, 2018 – Started Reading
June 9, 2018 – Shelved
June 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)

Cheri I am so looking forward to your review, Meredith!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books I love this review, Meredith! It sounds like this book totally gripped you, which are the best type of books 💕

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful, heartfelt review, Meredith ;) So glad you loved!! 😊

message 4: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Wonderful review, Meredith!

Melissa Lovely review, Meredith! You are in for such a treat! 🙌🏻 As an official KH junkie 🤓, I have to recommend: If You Only Knew, On Second Thought and Now That You Mention It. Seriously though, all of her books are a treat, these just happen to be my very favorites.

RedemptionDenied Great review, Meredith!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Meredith! I wish I requested this now.

message 8: by Svetlana (new) - added it

Svetlana such a fantastic, thoughtful review Meredith!! happy to see that you enjoyed this book! excited to read it too

message 9: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Excellent review, Meredith!!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Meredith!

Holly  B I'm excited to read this! Fab review.

Meredith Cheri wrote: "I am so looking forward to your review, Meredith!"
Thanks, Cheri! Loved this book and your review!

Meredith Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "I love this review, Meredith! It sounds like this book totally gripped you, which are the best type of books 💕"

Thanks so much, Mackenzie!

Meredith KAS wrote: "Wonderful, heartfelt review, Meredith ;) So glad you loved!! 😊"

Thanks so much, KAS!

message 15: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Defranc Very nice review!!

message 16: by Melisa (new)

Melisa Excited to read this one now!

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen Sounds good - may need to add this one now! Great review, Meredith

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review...looking forward to reading this also 😊💕

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Fantastic review, Meredith! I’ve been wanting to try this author’s work, but I’ll probably have to work my way up to this one since it seems incredibly sad

Deanna Awesome review!!

message 21: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fabulous review Meredith😄

Meredith Supratim wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Supratim!

Meredith Melissa wrote: "Lovely review, Meredith! You are in for such a treat! 🙌🏻 As an official KH junkie 🤓, I have to recommend: If You Only Knew, On Second Thought and [book:Now That You ..."

Thanks so much, Melissa! I need to get these asap! Don't know why it has taken me so long to read KH book.

Meredith RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, RedemptionDenied!

Meredith Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review, Meredith! I wish I requested this now."

Thank you, Mary Beth! I hope you get the opportunity to read it!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader What a fantastic review, Meredith! So happy you enjoyed this one!

Meredith Svetlana wrote: "such a fantastic, thoughtful review Meredith!! happy to see that you enjoyed this book! excited to read it too"

Thank you, Svetlana! I hope you enjoy!

Meredith Jaline wrote: "Excellent review, Meredith!!"

Thank you so much, Jaline!

Meredith Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Brenda!

message 30: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Great review! I can't wait to read it :) x

message 31: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Terrific review!!

message 32: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie I can't wait to read this one! KH's books are always so good! Splendid review, Meredith!!

Meredith Holly wrote: "I'm excited to read this! Fab review."

Thank you, Holly! Can't wait to see what you think!

Meredith Kathi wrote: "Very nice review!!"

Thank you so much, Kathi!

Meredith Melisa - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excited to read this one now!"

Hope you like it as much as I did, Melisa!

message 36: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Yay!! Excellent review! So excited to get to this one 😊😊

Berit☀️✨ Meredith beautiful review! I am looking forward to this one! 😍

Amanda Great review. I am so looking forward to reading this one. Scored a paperback copy through a sweepstakes.

Meredith Jen wrote: "Sounds good - may need to add this one now! Great review, Meredith"

Thank you, Jen! I hope you get the chance to read it!

Meredith *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Great review...looking forward to reading this also 😊💕"

Thank you, Tudor Queen! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Meredith Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review, Meredith! I’ve been wanting to try this author’s work, but I’ll probably have to work my way up to this one since it seems incredibly sad"

Thanks, Kristin! I am going to try out a few others by this author. Will let you know if they are also sad.

Meredith Deanna wrote: "Awesome review!!"

Thank you so much, Deanna! Loved your review!

Cheri Fabulous review, Meredith! Loved every word of your review.

Meredith Maureen wrote: "Fabulous review Meredith😄"

Thank you so much, Maureen!

Meredith Stacey wrote: "Great review! I can't wait to read it :) x"

Thank you, Stacey! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Danni lynn ❤ great review =] is next on my list to read xx

Meredith Maddie wrote: "Brilliant Review, Meredith xx"

Thank you so much, Maddie!

Meredith Mackey wrote: "Terrific review!!"

Thank you, Mackey!

Meredith Julie wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! KH's books are always so good! Splendid review, Meredith!!"

Can't wait to see what you think, Julie!

Meredith Kendall wrote: "Yay!! Excellent review! So excited to get to this one 😊😊"

Thank you, Kendall! I hope you like it as much as I did!

« previous 1