Riku Sayuj's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

1651956
Dec 01, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, booker-winners, lit-fic, r-r-rs, contemporary-fiction
Recommended for: Tanuj Solanki, Vikram Johari, Mohit Parikh, Arnab, Shafi
Read from December 03 to 04, 2011

Having laid off from new Booker winners after a traumatic experience with Adiga, I started on this book with a lot of trepidation. But I was drawn in from the first paragraph and the amazing childhood anecdotes seemed to be promising a night of unbroken reading! I went through it loving every line and anguishing over how I could never write like this - A patchy memory of life laid out in scattered pieces, excruciating in what is left unsaid and what is perhaps falsely remembered.

I finished the book in a day and promised this - 'Full review to follow.' I am thinking about this again today but maybe I'll fulfill this promise tomorrow? The book touched me on many personal levels and I want to do justice to it, maybe even read it once again before attempting an extensive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

12/03/2011 page 8
5.0% "Having laid off from new Booker winners after a traumatic experience with Adiga, I started on this book with a lot of trepidation... But I have been drawn in from the first paragraph and the amazing childhood anecdotes seem to be promising a night of unbroken reading!"
12/04/2011 page 112
69.0% "loving every line and anguishing over how I could never write like this... a patchy memory of life laid out in scattered pieces, excruciating in what is left unsaid and what is perhaps falsely remembered."
12/04/2011
100.0% "What a wonderful wonderful novel. No, not a novel, or a novella; it was a poem, with rhythm, repetition, and cadence, looping back on itself. Yes, it can only be called a poem - a poem about time, about forgotten time, long gone cold. Full review to follow."
02/28/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Steve I'm about halfway through and so far find it to be exceptionally good. It's gratifying to see that at least you and the Booker committee agree. I'm somewhat surprised that the love isn't more universal. Another thing your 5-star rating does is answer a question I had: How much of the enjoyment is a function of age and appetite for nostalgia? Evidently younger people can enjoy it, too. I'm glad.

message 9: by Kumar (new) - added it

Kumar Ankur Looking forward for a full review.

Niki Yapo-Held I completely agree. A lush, lyrical, sweet poem...

Cecily I hadn't really thought of it as a poem, but I see your point. In fact, the list of remembered images with which it opens are pretty poetic in and of themselves.

Riku Sayuj Cecily wrote: "I hadn't really thought of it as a poem, but I see your point. In fact, the list of remembered images with which it opens are pretty poetic in and of themselves."

Thanks! Interesting that you bring up the list, I think it affected me very profoundly when I was reading.

Cecily The list was the most enduring and intriguing aspect of the book for me (and the first point I mention in my own review).

Riku Sayuj Cecily wrote: "The list was the most enduring and intriguing aspect of the book for me (and the first point I mention in my own review)."

Yes, I did notice that. It was almost like an invocation.

Seemita Wow! That's an interesting angle to view this work... A poem!!

A 'Full review' perhaps may throw some light? :)

Riku Sayuj Seemita wrote: "Wow! That's an interesting angle to view this work... A poem!!

A 'Full review' perhaps may throw some light? :)"

Unkept promises. :) That is how life is.

message 1: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King What a superb review Riku!