Satyajeet's Reviews > The Love Poems of Rumi

The Love Poems of Rumi by Rumi

did not like it

Rumi is great, a genius! This is not about Rumi.

I would rate this -1 if that was possible to do. I love Rumi, and I've read quite a lot of his work. This is the worst thing that can happen with Rumi's work! I'll just say it simply, do not pick this book. I repeat, DO NOT!
Skip this in every possible way, do not come near this, please read the original literal translations - which is available in most languages - or you can go for the one by Coleman Barks or the one by Bernard Lewis, anything except this!
I am so furious to see this charlatan's name associated with Rumi! I knew about Deepak Chopra before this too, and so it was not very surprising to me to see this converted into this crap. This is extreme nonsense. He 'improved' and 'translated' this! I don't know where to begin, but I won't say anything more about this Chopra guy for...reasons.
For people who've read this, and thought this was 'good', 'okay', or 'beautiful in its own way', I feel sorry for you - I am sorry.
Some people think Trump is good, some think Kanye is better than Eminem - maybe they're all one. I don't know. Let's just leave that here.
I'm sorry to rant, but just...just skip this one, okay?
Thanks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Poems of Rumi.

Finished Reading
June 8, 2018 – Shelved
June 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Chang (new)

Chang On thank God, it's the one with Deepak Chopra. I was afraid the one In had was the same copy.

message 2: by Chang (new)

Chang Thanks, Satyajeet. This is a really useful review.

Satyajeet Chang wrote: "Thanks, Satyajeet. This is a really useful review."

Glad I could be of help! :)
The Coleman Barks's translation is quite popular with Rumi. Have a good read!