Cheri's Reviews > Good Luck with That

Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: arc, publisher-berkley-publishing-group, 2018, publisher-penguin-random-house

!! NOW AVAILABLE !!
As this story begins, these three girls, Marley, Georgia and Emerson, whose friendship was formed at Camp Copperbrook – a camp where girls from the ages of eleven to eighteen went for weight loss – are about to “age out” of this camp. This is their last day at camp, but not the last of their friendship.

”That’s the problem with perfect moments. They end.
Though no one would say it, all three girls knew things would never be quite the same again.”

Soon they will be busy with their own lives. College, jobs, life. Marley and Georgia end up sharing a place to live in Cambry-on-Hudson, a short ride from Manhattan that oozes charm. Emerson, on the other hand, lives in Delaware, and doesn’t like to travel, so they haven’t spent as much time with all of them together.

And then Marley and Georgia are standing next to Emerson, and she’s lying in a hospital bed, making them promise they will do … something, and they agree, even though they aren’t sure what they are agreeing to do. They are handed an envelope, which is to be opened after her funeral. A list they made that last day at camp, “Things We’ll Do When We’re Skinny.”

Georgia, a former lawyer who is now a preschool teacher, is the daughter of a woman who is always cruelly critical of her weight, her clothing, in essence – her. Her brother is just as bad, but she puts up with him because she loves his son. Marley, who runs her own catering business, is a chef, creating delicious and nutritious meals, which are delivered to the homes of her customers. Marley still suffers from the loss of her twin sister, who died when she was four. They each have their own issues, still, with their weight, and with how others treat them because of their weight. The judgment, the looks, the comments.

Through Emerson’s diary, Emerson tells her story, as well, and we learn about the last years of her life leading up to her death.

Everyone has their own issues, their own internal dialogue about what they hate or fear, what they wish they looked like – or what they think they look like, a quick judgment on someone just walking by, even. An obsession over size or shape or anything that began as a way of being motivating can become damaging. And not everyone has the same ideas about an ideal “shape,” which change as often as fashion.

Higgins’ story, to me, is another story that exemplifies the trend of “Up Lit” with its ultimate message being one of empathy rather than denigration, a promotion of understanding rather than shaming, a message of kindness, on our connection as human beings rather than how we appear to others. A sensitive topic handled with gentle humour, love and charm.

Friendship. Love. Family. Relationships. Forgiveness. Life.

Pub Date: 07 AUG 2018

Many thanks for the ARC provided by Penguin Random House

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Luck with That.

June 8, 2018 – Started Reading
June 8, 2018 – Shelved
June 8, 2018 –
page 261
June 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

message 1: by *Swaroop* (new)

*Swaroop* Happy reading, Cheri! Good luck with this...

Cheri Thanks so much, Swaroop!

Cheri Thanks much, Maddie! I hope your weekend is lovely, and you have plenty of quiet reading time, too! xo

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I am loving Up Lit, and I cannot wait to read this one, Cheri! This will be my first book from Kristan Higgins! Beautiful and sensitive review!

Susanne  Strong Great review Cheri! Im so excited to read this - loved that you loved it!

Cheri Thanks so much, Jennifer, I am loving Up Lit, myself, and I am so glad to see that you will be reading this one. This was my first book from Kristan Higgins, although I think I have one or two of her earlier books on my TBR. I expected more of a "chick-lit-lite" from what little I knew of her books years ago, but I thought she handled the topic well, if not making everyone happy.

Cheri Thanks so much, Susanne, I'm excited for you to read this one!

message 8: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Wonderful review, Cheri!

message 9: by Svetlana (new) - added it

Svetlana wonderful review Cheri! I want to read this book but forgot about it until your review. so thanks for that! will add to my list now :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Oh I’m so happy to see you enjoyed this one Cheri! I’m hoping to get to it soon! Wonderful review as always! 💕

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Terrific review Cheri 😊

Meredith B.  (readingwithmere) Great Review, Cheri!

Cheri Thanks so much, Supratim!

Cheri Svetlana, I'm so glad to hear that you want to read this, I'm already looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Cheri Thank you, Norma, I really didn't know what to expect with this, but this was a alternately heartbreaking and fun and charming, at times. I hope you do get to it soon, I want to know what you think!

Cheri Thanks so much, Maureen!

Cheri Thank you, Meredith!

message 18: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Yay! You have me so excited to read this! Glad you enjoyed 💙😍

message 19: by Cheri (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cheri Thank you, Kendall, I think you will really find this to be engaging!

Andrea Terrific review! Can’t wait

Deanna This was such a good book! Glad you liked it too! Great review!

Cheri Thanks so much, Andrea! Hope you have a chance to get to this one soon, and hope you love it!

Cheri I really enjoyed this, Deanna, I'm glad you did, too!

Meredith Fantastic review, Cheri! I just finished and loved it! I love what you say about how Higgins promotes empathy and understanding rather than shaming.

Cheri Thanks so much, Meredith, I'm so glad you finished this and loved it! That makes me very happy. Can't wait to read your review!

message 26: by Josephine (Jo) (new)

Josephine (Jo) An Excellent, sweet and kind review Cheri. x

Cheri Thank you so much, Jo! What a lovely thing for you to say. x

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria An uplifting review worthy of the genre! ❤️

Cheri Thank you so much, lovely Victoria!

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise Wilson Terrific review, Cheri!!

Cheri Thanks so much, Louise!

message 32: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Wonderful review, Cheri!

Melissa Great review, Cheri. I love this --> "Up-Lit". That's the perfect way to describe this novel and what makes all of the criticism so disheartening; especially considering some of those reviewers haven't even read the book. Sad for them, KH delivers an important message with this one.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Great review!

Cheri Thank you, Jaline! I never got a notification for your comment! Sorry for the delay!

Cheri Thanks so much, Melissa, and I agree with you about the criticism being disheartening, although criticism is usually less of an attack than I've seen in this case. I agree completely that KH delivers an important message with this one, and I hope it is well read by those it is meant to reach!

Cheri Thanks so much, Kathleen!

Andrea Finished it...and you were right about EVERYTHING. Higgins sure doesn’t disappoint, does she?!

Cheri Thank you, Andrea, I'm so glad you enjoyed this!