Kimberly's Reviews > As the Tide Comes In

As the Tide Comes In by Cindy Woodsmall

@WaterBrookMultnomah #Partner

This review is going to be a bit more emotionally driven than most.

This is a novel about loss and grief and the effects that grief has on us. It’s also a beautiful story of love and restoration.

This book was a timely read for me, as I just suffered a major loss in my life. Reading this book, I identified so much with Tara and the grief
she experienced. I found her emotions and reactions to be very realistic and true. Though the circumstances and details of her loss differ quite a bit from mine, it’s still grief and grief is a powerful and complex emotion. I really applaud the authors for handling this sensitive subject with such care and authenticity.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were all quite lovable and fun, the setting was beautiful and the story was complex.

The biggest take away I have from this book are a few excerpts where the characters are talking about loss and grief. These lines really hit home with me, so I’d like to share them.

(I removed a few spots of character detail, so that the reader isn’t distracted by it and can really let these words soak in.)

“It matters what condition a person lived and died in. Every crumb of love matters, and I’d dare say you gave a feast.”

“And they died knowing you loved them, knowing you believed in them, knowing you wanted the best for them. They died with happiness, hope and thankfulness in their hearts. Love did that, and you were love’s vessel.”

“No, your love protected and preserved for as long as it was in your hands to do so. The moment they went from this life to the next, God’s love met them without the necessary aid of a human vessel.”

“We are all vessels. We will carry something to everyone we come in contact with. Let’s choose to be vessels of love, patience, hope and faith. When it’s all said and done, whether you’re the one in the ground or a loved one is, the times you won’t regret are the times you loved deeply with patience and kindness and sacrifice.”

These words really hit home and fit my present grief circumstances quite well. I love the idea of being love’s vessel. That God would use me on this earth to show love to someone, that they would leave this world with happiness, hope and thankfulness in their heart. That I was able to send them from this world feeling loved, straight into the loving arms of their Heavenly Father. What an awesome gift God gives us. The ability to be love and to receive love.

This is a great book and a very emotional read, especially for anyone who has felt deep loss in their lives. I feel like I’m painting it as a sad book, and it’s not. It’s emotional, and if you’ve experienced loss, especially recently, it will hit home quite a bit. But, it is a very well-balanced story, ultimately one that is filled with hope, joy and love.

*I received a copy of this book free of charge from the publisher, in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As the Tide Comes In.

June 8, 2018 – Shelved