Bill's Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Christophe Chabouté

What a tasteful reminder of how fascinating and crazy the original novel is! With stark black-and-white panels and select dialogue, Chaboute conveys the passage of time, the growing sense of doom, and the black obsession of Ahab for the white whale. The chapters all begin with appropriate quotes from Melville’s text, such as “Drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat’s bow - Death to Moby Dick! God hunt us all, if we do not hunt Moby Dick to his death!” for The Quarterdeck, the famous chapter any reader (or movie watcher) will remember in which Arab nails the doubloon to the mast. Or the chapter entitled The Musket when Starbuck contemplates killing the sleeping Ahab: “It would make him the willful murderer of thirty men and more, if this ship come to any deadly harm; and come to deadly harm, my soul swears this ship will, if Ahab have his way.” It’s been 40 years since I read the novel and this makes me want to embark again on that voyage knowing full well what a long and arduous trip it will be to set foot upon the deck of the Pequod.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

June 6, 2018 – Started Reading