Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Knocked Up

Knocked Up by Stacey Lynn

bookshelves: contemporary, romance

After a one-night stand with the best man of her best friend’s wedding, Cara finds herself pregnant. Under a self-imposed exile from her horrendous parents, she is on her own until she tells Braxton he’s going to be a dad. The pair decide to work together to find a way to make their baby’s future a bright one.

Braxton came from a broken home and owes his success to the foster father who took him in and left him enough money to live comfortably, making his dreams come true. Although his life gets turned upside down when Cara shares the news of her pregnancy, Braxton is truly excited to become a father and plans to make Cara his forever.

Although the baby-genre isn’t my favorite, I picked up Knocked Up because I absolutely adored Ms. Lynn’s previous book, Fake Wife. While it wasn’t as quite as lovely as the first book in the Crazy Love series, Knocked Up has the same easy-to-read, low-conflict romance format, and I found myself engrossed in Braxton and Cara’s story. The romance works because both Cara and Braxton wanted more after their one night, but due to a simple misunderstanding (and basic awkwardness), neither pursued more. Now, tossed together, Braxton feels that Cara is the one for him and is extremely determined to make her feel the same. The pair has to work through a few bumps: her uber-crappy parents, building trust, etc., but it flows very smoothly. Overall, the romance is sweet, with a side of sexy.

The romance is quick-paced and fairly simple, and I enjoyed reading along (sometimes that’s just what I need). However, I knew a conflict would eventually arise, which it does, and unfortunately, it’s pretty predictable. I was a bit disappointed that the author took the easy road with respect to the conflict, and it felt a bit too generic. However, it fits with the simplicity of the storyline, and the pair find resolution quickly.

If you are looking for a quick, light romance, I recommend Knocked Up. Cara and Braxton are likable characters, and they make a good match. While the book isn’t heavy with emotion and conflict, it’s the perfect beach read.

My Rating: B, Liked It
Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
Review copy provided by Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knocked Up.

June 8, 2018 – Shelved