Patty's Reviews > No Mark Upon Her

No Mark Upon Her by Deborah Crombie

Nov 30, 2011

Recommended for: All mystery lovers
Read from November 30 to December 03, 2011

Every time I read one of these books it is as though I am reunited with family...Gemma, Duncan, Kit, Toby and now sweet Charlotte.

It's English, there are lots of pubs and gardens and tea and there is a fascinating complex murder or two...to figure out.

I read everything that this author writes. Each book has been sheer bliss and joy for me. Gemma and Duncan have been in every book that I have read along with their ever evolving family.

Relationships, children, dogs ,cats, friends, colleagues...all of these are an integral part of each mystery. We learn more and more about their lives with each book. I love this part of each novel. There is always a trial or an event or a crisis that must be dealt with.

In the midst of what is happening within their families...there is always the event. The crime, the murder, the politics of this British...very British police force. The who did it part...the evil that these two detectives work with every day.

Duncan with his almost keen ability to solve each crime...and Gemma...they are consummate professionals.
Duncan is never satisfied with the obvious and digs and digs and digs until he is satisfied that he has the proper outcome.

It does not even matter to me what the crime is...the crime occurs...we have no idea who commits the crime or why...but it slowly and deliciously unfolds...the suspense and excitement build...and
finally it is all laid out before us...we see what has happened through their eyes.

This particular crime involves an elite rower...one of those thin small boats...who just happens to be on the police force, too. Emma Beckwith is recently divorced, has taken
a new lover, and is involved in a sticky situation with a fellow officer...she is secretive, sort of solitary and almost everyone she knows could have killed her...it's just too delicious for words!!!

Reading this book for me was like coming home...I have read all of the books in order and I love the changes and growth of each character. References in this book appeared to refer to characters in the book just before this one...this is a bit tricky and can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with this series but it's manageable.

Again... I love the books in order but that is just my preference.

I think that although this book is fine as a stand alone...it is far better to have read all of her other ones...even after this one...you are truly just missing out if you don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Mark Upon Her.

06/05 marked as: read