Sue (Hollywood News Source)'s Reviews > Somewhere Only We Know

Somewhere Only We Know by Maurene Goo

Somewhere Only We Know is a modern retelling of Roman Holiday.
Instead of featuring a royal princess, the novel follows the story of Lucky, who's an International Kpop star. After a jam-packed schedule, she went out of her hotel in search of hamburger. She ended up meeting Jack, who works for a tabloid, he somehow took care of her when she fell asleep due to taking anxiety and sleeping pills. Will romance get in a way of Lucky's glamorous profession?

I was really excited to read Somewhere Only We Know if you're unaware I'm a huge fan of Kpop since SNSD/2NE1 rivalry era; and I've been watching Kdrama way before that. When I started reading the story, I'm extremely surprised to learn that it's a Roman Holiday retelling. I'm not a huge fan of the movie; however, I love the aesthetic and the pairing.

Somewhere Only We Know takes us to intimate tourist attraction of Hong Kong as Lucky and Jack explore the city. Akin to its inspiration, I’m not obsessed with this novel. It’s a great story and I ended up loving the pop-culture ambience, chemistry of the characters, and the delightful setting; however, it lacks a spark. Maybe, because the timeline laid out for Lucky and Jack was limited. We only have like 24 hours for them to get to know each other. Goo didn’t craft it as “one true love” but instead she uses the “attraction” angle which I appreciate. I tend to gravitate to pairings that have in-depth buildup. I guess that’s the reason why it felt short to me.

Goo showed us the glamorous side of K-pop, but she didn’t forget to highlight the repulsive work conditions for idols. I believe a lot of Korean fans and even international are aware of how cutthroat this industry. With that being said, I love the ending. It’s perfect and just right. The vein of The Somewhere Only We Know is similar to The Sun Is Also A Star. Both have the “instant attraction” approach and both pairings “fall” for each other within a day. I highly recommend both novels for hopeless romantic readers.

Actual Rating: 3.8 stars.

Review to be edited eventually.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere Only We Know.

June 7, 2018 – Shelved