Amy's Reviews > Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression

bookshelves: 2011, borrowed, kindle, nonfiction, parenting
Recommended to Amy by: midwife
Recommended for: no one
Read from November 30 to December 04, 2011

I borrowed this book from the Kindle Lending Library and I'm glad I only borrowed it.

The first two chapters of the book were decent; I found them relevant and interesting (for lack of a better word) to read. I could empathize with her and really found myself examining my own experiences after babies. However, after about 70 pages into the book, I started to get annoyed with her complaining and seemingly whiny attitude. I don't know how someone who admits to just lying in bed and crying can complain about all the attention a baby needs; she had her husband, in-laws, mother, and a nanny to help out. While I do think she suffered from PPD, I don't know how any 'real' person can truly relate to her story because most people I know are stuck in the trenches, mostly on their own, or at least only have family to help out, not paid-for help like a 24 hour baby nurse.

Even though most of my complaint with the book is the tone of it, I also don't think it was written very well. It jumped around a lot - I found myself asking "What path is she taking me on?," especially toward the end. It could have been edited/revised for flow better, I think.

While this book was recommended to me as a book to 'relate with,' I won't be recommending it to anyone I know. I didn't find it powerful or something anyone I know could relate to, on a level beyond 'symptoms.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down Came the Rain.