Elise Stokes's Reviews > The Bones of the Earth

The Bones of the Earth by Scott Bury

Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

(Not suitable for readers under 18)

I don’t usually read fantasy, but after this novel it’s a genre I’ll explore more. Scott Bury is a talented storyteller and had clearly done his homework before launching into this one. His writing is solid and vivid. I had no problem picturing setting, mythical creatures, brutal battle scenes, and feeling the emotional turmoil warrior Javor experienced with the loss of his family, betrayal, and other challenges he faced on his quest. Javor is a brilliant character, brave, fierce, loyal, compassionate, and autistic. Yes, the hero is Asperger’s. I confirmed this with Bury (@ScottTheWriter) on Twitter. I applaud how thoughtfully and subtly he “shows “ Javor’s disability. The clues are in how other characters react to Javor and how their reactions dumbfound him. However, this story isn’t about Javor overcoming his disability. He is simply who he is: wonderful and heroic.

I have one caution, which I only give because I have seen this novel labeled as Young Adult. It contains explicit sexual content that makes it unsuitable for younger readers, in my opinion. So don’t make presumptions based on Javor’s age. The Bones Of The Earth is not written for someone his age. It’s intended for an adult audience, which I highly recommend it to.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention my favorite scene, which is probably the most epic action scene I have ever read: a battle with a dragon. Talk about vivid! This is a scene that I hope one day to watch wide-eyed on “the big screen” while absently shoveling popcorn into my mouth. Bury sure knows how to choreograph and describe a fight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bones of the Earth.