Emily | The Wicked Pages's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

liked it

Alright, I think I’ve given myself ample time to stew on my opinion of this book. While my rating hasn’t changed, I think I’ve finally figured out what exactly about this book made me rate it lower than almost everyone else.

This book was wonderfully written. The plot was great and the world building was complete. Orisha was colorful, bold, and I never had any questions about the culture and the way of the life for the people that lived there. I love it and I loved the story.

What I didn’t like were the characters. Now I didn’t mind Zelie. She wasn’t bad at all, except a few times where I was just like “girl you need to get it together.” All together, she was a great leader and pretty much embodied what it would look like if a teenager was suddenly the face of a rebellion. She was flawed, but she was reasonably flawed.

Amari was cute, but she didn’t exactly fill out my expectations of what her character would be. She started out really strong and then went straight into the damsel in distress and then suddenly found her courage again. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I didn’t like the way she progressed as a character. She was just too soft and scared through the middle of the book for me to truly like her.

The men in this book were a mess. Especially Tzain. I couldn’t stand him from the second he started talking in the beginning of the book and he progressively got worse instead of better. If I had to read him telling Zelie that she was screwing something up yet again or that she was a disappointment I was going to lose it. Zelie loves her brother so damn much and he couldn’t find it in his heart for ten damn minutes to maybe realize that she’s under a lot of pressure and maybe needs some support instead of toxic masculinity. There was never any positive development with his character and the fact that Amari was falling for him and his testosterone fuel temper tantrums was too much for me.

Inan was too much. He was so flaky throughout the whole book. I get that you can’t just change your beliefs overnight, especially when it’s been ingrained into your mind since you were a child. I never understood where is character development was going. One minute he was being a radical racist and the next he was being supportive. One minute he was all for protecting his little sister and the next he was crawling along behind his abusive father.

The book was so important for the black community and I don’t mean to take that away at all. The message in this book was still loud and clear. Tomi told her story in such a powerful way. This book was plot driven rather than character driven, which is probably why I didn’t like the characters. The story is what mattered in the book. I just wish there had been more positive development where the characters were involved.

Happy Reading,

Emily

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

June 5, 2018 – Shelved
page 202
July 19, 2018 –
page 300
page 350
66.67% "I’m so sick and tired of Tzain’s bullshit"
page 401