emma's Reviews > When the Sky Fell on Splendor

When the Sky Fell on Splendor by Emily Henry

I love Emily Henry.

Typically, I have reservations about making love-based declarations about people I don’t know on the internet. Seems a lil weird. Like, how would Rami Malek feel if he knew I was writing sonnets about how he manages to be devastatingly attractive even with weird fake teeth? How would Bill Hader feel if he knew about how many clips of his interviews I’ve watched in a row on YouTube?

Both of those are, of course, completely made up examples.

In the case of Emily Henry, though, I’m willing to make an exception. This is for several reasons:
1) Because of the sheer volume of adoring things I’ve written about her and her books, in places like my blog and my reviews and, uh, the comments of her Instagram posts, I’m pretty sure Emily Henry already knows.
2) I love Emily Henry’s books with my whole heart.
3) Emily Henry and her books mean a lot to me.

One of my very favorite movies ever is pretty at odds with everything else I love. It is a movie called “About Time.” About Time is a cheesy British rom-com (brought to you by the mind behind every other cheesy British rom-com) about Domhnall Gleeson as a time traveler and Rachel McAdams as his charming and devastatingly lovely love interest.

I do not cry ever, and I have never seen that movie without full-on weeping.

The ending of About Time is Domhnall Gleeson’s realization that he doesn’t need to travel through time anymore, because the single most beautiful and valuable thing he can do is live through every day and really notice it. Really be present for it. That’s the best possible use of his time.

Granted, because of the specific rules of time travel in this movie, he can’t do much else, but still.

Emily Henry’s books are, in some ways, the equivalent of that movie. And I love them all in the same heart-swelling, out of body way that I love it.

Emily Henry writes characters who are flawed. They’re mean to the people around them, or bad students, or careless. They are human and imperfect, and I adore them all. I have never read an Emily Henry character I didn’t instantly feel and understand. I almost never love book characters, and I always love hers. They’re funny and messed up and lovely and I feel like I know them right away.

She also writes about our world as magical, as a place where we can find adventure and comfort, a place filled with hardship and pain and struggle and also people we can connect with. Her books have romances in them, but more than that, they have family and friends and BANTER. (God, the banter.)

I love About Time because it knows how beautiful the ordinary can be. How an ordinary life, doing what you love with people you love around you, is the loveliest possible kind. Emily Henry’s books know the same thing.

I can’t pretend I know why Emily Henry writes magical realism and sci-fi, books in which the extraordinary coexists with the ordinary. But I bet it’s because Emily Henry knows the most extraordinary things often seem ordinary after all.

Because that’s what her books are all about.

Here, really, is what I have to say: Emily Henry’s books make me laugh and tear up. They make me feel happy and excited and sad and in suspense, hopeful and satisfied and understood and known. When I read her work, I don’t just want to believe that we exist in the world that she’s created -- I believe that we do.

I hope everyone finds an author for them like that.

pre-review

it is with great joy and absolutely zero surprise that I must tell you: Emily Henry has done it again.

this was so f*cking good I can hardly stand it.

review to come (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-----------------------

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'm reading it immediately.

-----------------------

THIS IS DESCRIBED AS THE SERPENT KING MEETS STRANGER THINGS.

AND IT'S BY EMILY HENRY.

the fact that it is not currently in my possession is my new least favorite thing about the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sky Fell on Splendor.

June 5, 2018 – Shelved
December 15, 2018 – Started Reading
December 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Tucker (new)

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader) Quick! We must use the power of ARC requests!

message 2: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow Tucker wrote: "Quick! We must use the power of ARC requests!"

😂😂

emma lol it literally just got announced today but god i'll be campaigning for the arc like it's my presidential run

Betty Lou Bat I LOVED 'A million Junes'! A new book by Emily Henry? MUST HAVE!!! ♥♥♥

emma Betty Lou Bat wrote: "I LOVED 'A million Junes'! A new book by Emily Henry? MUST HAVE!!! ♥♥♥"

she's got two slated for 2019!! god i can hardly stand the wait and it's barely started

megs_bookrack I cannot wait for this one!!!! I can't wait to see what you think!

emma megs_bookrack wrote: "I cannot wait for this one!!!! I can't wait to see what you think!"

what i think is: ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LOVE

megs_bookrack emma wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "I cannot wait for this one!!!! I can't wait to see what you think!"

what i think is: ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LOVE"

That's what I like to hear!

[image error]

emma megs_bookrack wrote: "emma wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "I cannot wait for this one!!!! I can't wait to see what you think!"

what i think is: ONE HUNDRED PERCENT LOVE"

That's what I like to hear!

"

WOO

message 10: by Tucker (new)

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader) YOU LOVED IT! SO GLAD! I need to get my hands on this somehow

message 11: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Tucker wrote: "YOU LOVED IT! SO GLAD! I need to get my hands on this somehow"

i would sign my life over to emily henry no questions asked

message 12: by may ❀ (new) - added it

may ❀ flkdsajflkaj you GOT AN ARC AND LOVED IT?? IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

message 13: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma may ❀ wrote: "flkdsajflkaj you GOT AN ARC AND LOVED IT?? IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!"

agdshjsaghj THANK YOU I PEAKED I LOVE YOU

Betty Lou Bat I ordered the book a few days ago via a German bookstore. Today there was an email waiting for me telling me that there are difficulties in delivery and they don't know when it will be available...! NOOOOOOO...!!! 👀 I want it so bad... 😥

message 15: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Betty Lou Bat wrote: "I ordered the book a few days ago via a German bookstore. Today there was an email waiting for me telling me that there are difficulties in delivery and they don't know when it will be available......"

omg i am so sorry for your suffering but it is WORTH THE WAIT

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee Bill Hader should never be used as made up example, but the unquestionable reality always

message 17: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler "About Time" (=

message 18: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Tyler wrote: ""About Time" (="

i wrote this review before our conversation but thinking about it made me smile when i posted it :)

message 19: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Lee wrote: "Bill Hader should never be used as made up example, but the unquestionable reality always"

he is one of my top five -- nay, two -- celebrity crushes

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee I am now obligated by law to ask who the other one is

message 21: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Lee wrote: "I am now obligated by law to ask who the other one is"

i am likewise obligated by law to tell you it's the also-mentioned rami malek

message 22: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Wait, yes, Abut Time is the best! I always wonder what the Uncle must have done in his visits to the past that have messed with his mind so much. That dude has seen some stuff, right? But yea, most wholesome movie.

message 23: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma s.penkevich wrote: "Wait, yes, Abut Time is the best! I always wonder what the Uncle must have done in his visits to the past that have messed with his mind so much. That dude has seen some stuff, right? But yea, most..."

omg!! of course you would appreciate that movie! love it.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ This review is pure as hell I love it & you 😭👏🏼

message 25: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara About Time is fantastic and so is this review!

message 26: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "This review is pure as hell I love it & you 😭👏🏼"

oh my god i love you.

message 27: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Tara wrote: "About Time is fantastic and so is this review!"

IMMENSELY APPRECIATED