Debra's Reviews > Sold on a Monday

Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris

3.5-star rating

Children for Sale

The sign sits on a porch in 1931. It's the time of broken dreams, lost fortunes and heartbreak. What a decision to make - to sell you children. This is the scene which journalist Ellis Reed comes upon while reporting on another story. He decides to take some pictures of the two boys sitting near the sign and wonders "can they read?" Do the boys know what is written on the sign? Heart wrenching and sad.

Lilian Palmer is a single Mother who hides the fact that she has a four-year-old son who resides with her parents and whom she visits every weekend. By chance she sees the photograph that Ellis has taken and decides to bring it to her boss's attention. When that photograph becomes damaged, a new photograph must be taken. That final photograph changes things for both Ellis and Lilian (among other characters) forever.

"Even decent, well meaning people could make poor choices under pressure."

This book was a quick easy read but I found that the pacing lagged at times. I found it to be slow in the beginning, then picked up and then lagged again. My biggest complaint about this book is that even though the subject matter is heart breaking, I did not feel as if I had the emotional connection that I was expecting. I had high expectations for this book in that regard. Again, I was hoping for more of an emotional connection. Can you even imagine putting your children up for sale? What that must have felt like? The reasons and situation which led you to make such a gut-wrenching decision. What must it be like to know your parents are selling you? For the entire book I wanted to know what happened to those initial boys who sat by the sign on their front porch. Were they ever sold? What was their fate? The reader does not know as the story is no longer about them but about Ellis and Lilian and their quest to right a wrong they feel that they committed by taking the second photograph. I was also hoping for more POV's in this book so that I could feel more of an emotional bond with the other children, Ruby and Calvin and their Mother. For me, I wanted to know more about all the children in this book, their thoughts, feelings and emotions.
Still, this is an enjoyable book which paints a picture of what life was like during that time. Tough decisions were made during that time which affected everyone in the family unit. Her characters were likable, and I did root for them. There are situations in this book which do pull at the heart strings. The story does become a tad predictable and everything is wrapped up nicely in the end but ultimately, I wanted more.

*Traveling Sisters Group Read

Thank you to Sourcebooks Landmark and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Read more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sold on a Monday.

June 4, 2018 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 –
page 22
July 18, 2018 –
page 42
July 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Does sound interesting!. Great review Debra!

Debra Holly wrote: "Does sound interesting!. Great review Debra!"

Thank you Holly!

RedemptionDenied Great review, Debra!

Debra RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Debra!"

Thank you!!!

message 5: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Excellent review 😊💓🙌

Debra *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Excellent review 😊💓🙌"

Thank you!!

Selena Wonderful review! This is my next book to read. Glad you enjoyed it.

Debra Selena wrote: "Wonderful review! This is my next book to read. Glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you! I look forward to your thoughts on the book!

Tammy Great review! Glad you found it enjoyable, sounds very intriguing! 😊

Debra Tammy wrote: "Great review! Glad you found it enjoyable, sounds very intriguing! 😊"

Thanks Tammy! Interesting book although I did hope for more of the children's story. This is a case of my expectations getting in the way.

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Debra!

message 12: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran Debra....excellent review.....I will bump it up on my NG list. Thank you!

Debra Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Debra!"

Thank you Brenda!

Debra Fran wrote: "Debra....excellent review.....I will bump it up on my NG list. Thank you!"

Thank you Fran!

message 15: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Terrific review, Debra! 💕

Debra Julie wrote: "Terrific review, Debra! 💕"

Thank you Julie!

message 17: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Excellent review, Debra!

Debra Crumb wrote: "Excellent review, Debra!"

Thank you Crumb!