Katy's Reviews > My Sparkling Misfortune

My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond

Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: Lord Arkus
Recommended for: those who enjoy a fun, light-hearted story where you can root for the villain
Read on July 14, 2012 — I own a copy

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy/Villain as Hero Reading Level: Any age

Disclosure: I picked up a copy while it was free on Kindle last fall; in exchange, I’m happy to provide an honest review.

Synopsis: Lord Arkus of Blackriver Castle readily admits that he is a villain and sees no reason why it should stop him from being the protagonist of this book. After all, Prince Kellemar, an aspiring hero, has defeated him in a rather questionable way.

Bent on revenge, Arkus attempts to capture a powerful evil spirit who would make him nearly invincible, but a last-minute mistake leaves him with a Sparkling instead — “a goody-goody spirit that helps heroes, watches over little children, and messes up villains’ plans.”

Bound to Lord Arkus for five years of service and sworn to act in his best interests, the Sparkling is not easy to get rid of, and of course his understanding of “best interests” is quite different from what Lord Arkus has in mind.

My Thoughts: Shortly after I discovered this book, I also discovered Lord Arkus on Facebook. You should definitely track “him” down, he’s a hoot.

I really enjoyed this book – it was a lot of fun! Lord Arkus may be a villain, but he’s a villain with a heart of gold (he probably stole it from the next kingdom over), and, of course, he believes in having manners, so sometimes people might get the wrong impression about him just because he’s trying to be polite. Tulip the sparkling – whom Arkus calls Jarvis – is a wonderful friend to Arkus, full of fun and teasing. I also enjoyed Prince Philip’s character. I will definitely be looking to acquire the next book, My Royal Pain Quest, just as soon as I can come up with the funds. It’s been on my wishlist for awhile now, but now I want it even more than before!

At any rate, if you like to root for the villain, if you like a light-hearted and fast read, be sure to check out My Sparkling Misfortune. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sparkling Misfortune.