Tessy Fletcher's Reviews > Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things

Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things by Betsy Aldredge

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, drama-mama, retellings, stand-alone
Read 3 times

Feel free to check out my new blog, Between the Lines!

I have a helpful hint for anyone looking for a title for their contemporary/romance YA book, and because I am a good citizen, I have included an easy to follow template! It looks something like this: ”Love and Other ________”. If you’re feeling particularly fancy, you can have another noun in the list, but only up to two items other than love. Forget about coming up with an original title, because apparently every other YA author has.
Honestly though, this book was cute enough, but was very similar to every other YA contemporary that has been coming out lately. To really make this process easier, I’ve decided to compose a pro-and-con list.

PRO:
Sasquatch--anything that has to do with sasquatch, count me in. The addition of calling it a “wood-ape” never failed to bring a smile to my face.
Reality TV-This book relentlessly mocked reality TV--from the stars to the shows to the actual filming of it. Definitely something that Aldredge nailed in my opinion.
Snarky MC-Anyone who knows me knows that I have an incurable case of sarcasm, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading from the point of view of a girl who suffers the same affliction.
Shout out to P+P-I really enjoyed the aspects that Aldredge pulled and changed from the classic book, Pride and Prejudice, I say that it was respectfully and tastefully done.

CON:
Double Standards--Many times throughout the book, I found myself rolling my eyes at our main character. She would scold her younger sister for something, (let’s say it was her inappropriate clothing choices), but if her mom attempted to scold the younger sister for the exact same issue, our main character would jump to her defense. Honestly, it gave me whiplash. The entire relationship between Sam and her family struck me as strange, and this might have been the most annoying element.
Family Mocking-Anytime Sam opened her mouth, there was a 50% chance that she was about to mock her own family. She makes fun of her parents for believing in Sasquatch, she makes fun of Lyssa for wanting to fit in. There is nothing safe from Sam’s mocking. I understand if she was slightly embarrassed of her family, because they were excessively zany, but mocking her parents as much as she did seemed disrespectful to me.
Boring Plot-In the end, the plot managed to sludge to an acceptable close, but there wasn’t much substance throughout the entire book. I had hoped that the challenges would have been harder or more amusing, or even written about more, but they were glazed over.

Overall, it was a pretty average book. Brought along enough laughs to suffice, enough plot to be acceptable, and enough snark to make it passable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sasquatch, Love, and Other Imaginary Things.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
May 28, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
May 28, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
May 29, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
June 4, 2018 – Shelved