Bethany's Reviews > Unfinished Business: Women, Men, Work, Family

Unfinished Business by Anne-Marie Slaughter

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Unfinished Business: Women, Men, Work, Family is a well-crafted, thought-provoking book that everyone should read. Men, women, parents, aspiring parents, managers of parents, colleagues of parents, policy-makers, and people with living parents. And everyone else too.

Anne-Marie Slaughter does an amazing job of unpacking the complexities of caregiving, gender identity, workplace expectations, and cultural attitudes toward working parents. As a society we under-value caregiving for children and elders, underestimate the potential productivity of working mothers as employees, disregard fathers as equally capable parents, and fail to provide adequate support and flexibility for childcare. This is detrimental to families, to women, to men, to careers, and actually to companies as well. Slaughter makes a strong case for how our thinking and policies both need to change, and suggests important questions that couples considering marriage and children should ask each other. She also admits that her generation of feminists have wrongly looked down on women who take a step back from careers in order to care for children, and suggests that we think of career paths as a trajectory with ups and downs rather than a straight trajectory.

I related a lot to this book and think there is a lot of value here. I appreciated chapters about how our ideas of masculinity need to change to accommodate men being capable caregivers and household managers. She discusses a number of complex and sensitive issues and does it well, of course bringing policy into the conversation. She posits this as a bi-partisan issue (which I think it is) and one that we must grapple with as a society. Highly recommend! And seriously, I think people who want to have kids one day should read this, because we weren't prepared to navigate some of the complex issues that arise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfinished Business.

June 4, 2018 – Started Reading
June 4, 2018 – Shelved
June 6, 2018 –
page 50
14.2% "Loving this! It's on point and very relatable."
June 12, 2018 –