Aubrey's Reviews > Pure

Pure by Andrew  Miller

4119460
Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: 4-star, reviewed, r-2012, r-goodreads

I enjoy books like this one, ones that focus not on shoving obstacles and enemies into the path of the plot, but instead work to give the main character friendship, fortune, and even love despite their misfortunes. There's just something satisfying in seeing characters work effectively with one another, together dealing with all that life throws at them. In other words, I'm a fan of authors who don't make all their characters insufferable prats just because they can. It's easy to get weary of the antagonism.
Living close to a large cemetery myself, I have to appreciate how far we've come in dealing with our buried dead. The idea of that pervasive malaise, in the air, in the food, in the people. It's disgustingly frightening on a base level, a feeling only matched by the thought of living near a radioactive zone. (view spoiler)
Going back to the characters actually being decent with one another, I was surprised by how many of them were competent souls. Definitely led to less drama. There wasn't any cringing at misplaced trust or outdated medicinal techniques, or even lover's spats. It was instead borderline peaceful, save for a few incidents(view spoiler). Despite all these, the book went along at an enjoyably sedate pace, as it made up its lack of action with more than enough descriptive power. I'll take realistic imagery that I can fully immerse myself in over overly complex power plays any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

Quotes Aubrey Liked

Andrew  Miller
“I’m going to play,’ says Armand, lacing his fingers and cracking the knuckles. ‘A pair of these lads can pump for me.’
‘Is this a time for playing?’ asks Jean Baptiste. Then, ‘You are right. You have never been more so.”
Andrew Miller, Pure