Sally G.'s Reviews > Freedom

Nov 29, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2010

I chose to read this book when Oprah chose it as her Book Club selection in 2010. It was presented as a fantastic read and I really desired to be part of a larger book club discussion. So, I bought the book and launched myself into it.

This book is about Walter and Patty Burgland - and the people in their lives that they influence with their choices and behaviours.

It's about Love and how that feels and manifests depending on who you are, and even who you're with, at the time.

it's about freedom and choices - and the responsibility we have as social citizens to respect and honour the power and consequences of each.

It's about families and what they're capable of doing to, and for, each other. The importance, value and impact of both Parents and Siblings is explored.

Conservation and over-population is featured too.

I left the book not quite sure what the underlying message was meant to be, what my ultimate take-away was. (I did read reviews and author interviews and discovered what Franzen wanted the take-away to be - whether or not he achieved it will likely depend on the reader.)

I'm not even certain if the book's ending was real - or if it was just another of Patty's self-involved stories designed to leave her in a flattering light.

I rated this book 4 out of 10 (and couldn't give it away fast enough).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.

Kelly I am smiling -- I gave mine away too (and it's hard to give away a hard cover!!)