Nicole's Reviews > True Blue

True Blue by Sasha Wasley

bookshelves: australian-fiction, my-books

True Blue is the second book in a trilogy based on the three Paterson sisters by beloved Aussie rural romance writer, Sasha Wasley. The first book, Dear Banjo, is the story of Willow 'Banjo', True Blue is based on Freya 'Free' and the last book, yet to be released, on Beth. While I haven't read Dear Banjo, True Blue works well as a stand alone novel because I didn't feel like I was missing a piece of the puzzle as can be the case in some series. Sasha provided just enough details about Banjo for me to want to go back and get to know her in greater depth. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Free for a few reasons.

The first is that she is a total contrast to myself and as a result, Free is someone I could become friends with. The protagonist is an extrovert who wears her on her sleeve, passionate about her job as an art teacher and the desire to save the environment. Free is am open book when it comes to love, especially when she sets her sights on the local policeman, Irish newcomer Finn Kelly. At times, a combination of these traits showed that at 27 years of age, Free is very naive in some aspects. I couldn't quite believe that Free though Finn wouldn't do his job if it clashed with his own personal morals and ethics. I thought Free was old enough to know that Finn has a job to do that comes with it's positive and negative aspects.

The next reason I loved going along for a ride with Free was that the book is set in a country town in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. While I'm not a big fan of rural romance, I enjoyed reading about the city girl who comes back to the country to be an art teacher. Free is not a farm girl which is a nice twist on the usual tale. Most importantly, she still appreciates the beauty of rural life, which really shone through with Sasha's description of the Herne River. Sasha also highlights the negative impacts damming can have on farming life with her facts interspersed through out the novel. As a city chic myself, this was an easy way to enjoy the quieter life!

The last reason is the man himself, Finn Kelly. Finn is a tall, gorgeous man, who clearly has feelings for Free, just as she does for him. Finn isn't like Free as he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. This lead to some great tension between the two characters as they shared some smoldering looks which I was impatiently waiting to get somewhere lol Finn also doesn't reveal a lot about himself either, leading him to be quite a secretive man. I was left wandering just what his back story as Free herself was. When Finn does reveal his past, it is simple and explains the man he is today.

With themes of environmentalism and staying true to yourself, Sasha's trilogy is one to put on the TBR pile if you like your rural romance a little different from the rest!

#AWWC#

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Blue.

June 3, 2018 – Started Reading