Audrey's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Nov 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012_publish, art, audrey-s-2012-books
Read from May 07 to 11, 2012

I need to start my review by describing what I brought to this book, and what was at stake for me as an individual reader. I studied art history in college; I have both a B.A. and an M.A. in art history. That is to say, I have a deep personal interest in art and the story behind its creation and place in history, but I don't think this really affected me much with this book, since I went in knowing it is fiction. I also have read Christopher Moore books in the past and enjoyed them. I do think this affected my reading of this book, mainly because I went in expecting to enjoy his writing style and humor.

Sacre Bleu was a tough read for me. It took me longer than usual to get through, mostly because I was often bored while reading. Moore has a humorous, irreverent style, but for me, the jokes in this book just weren't funny. It's a very dialog heavy book, but I felt like most of it was throw away dialog. The jokes are mainly having to do with some combination of bonking, shagging, and/or penis, and this kind of humor really ran thin pretty quickly. I wanted more substance behind the jokes, more wit. Instead, it was as if Moore had a post-it on his computer that said, "When in doubt, type 'penis'."

I thought the story itself had a lot of promise. The mystical source of ultramarine, the most expensive and dear of all colors, associated with the Virgin herself. A Colorman and Muse that transcend time to bring both inspiration and destruction to artists. There was a lot of potential there. I never felt the story delivered, though. It felt meandering, and kind of dull. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that this was the result of a combination of lack of character development and just too many things going on in the plot. I'd love to see another writer take on this story, to see what it could have been when delivered with more seriousness and exactitude.

One of the positive attributes of this book is the design. The physical volume is absolutely beautiful. I love the rich blue of the cover, and the design that integrates Toulouse-Lautrec and the Eiffel Tower. There are color illustrations of famous Impressionist paintings throughout the text, which relate back to the story. And the text of the pages itself is blue. Altogether, it's really nicely done and in the spirit of the story.

Sadly, Sacre Bleu is the weakest Christopher Moore book I've read. It lacked the spirit and true humor of his past writing, and struggled with character development and focus. I hope his next endeavor is more successful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

05/07/2012 page 56
02/15/2016 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

Audrey It did. I'd rather read Twilight ten times than read this book again.

Donna LaValley You've said just what I think I'll say about this book, if I ever finish it! (I'm slogging away at p. 81) Thanks for writing such a good critique.

message 3: by Stuntin (new)

Stuntin I'm not one for art history but I'm not a total boob & yet you mirror my sediments! I think he took himself as an author way too seriously with the subject matter.

Audrey Stuntin wrote: "I'm not one for art history but I'm not a total boob & yet you mirror my sediments! I think he took himself as an author way too seriously with the subject matter."

Agreed. I don't think you need to know about art to know that this just wasn't a very good book.

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood I agree, tough read.

Kris Instead, it was as if Moore had a post-it on his computer that said, "When in doubt, type 'penis'."

My feeling exactly, it was like being in a room full of 12 year old boys. One would shout "penis" and another would anser with "poop!" Got real old real fast. *I work with kids in age group, I get enough of it when I'm being paid to hear it*

Mechelle Ray Having a hard time getting through it. Hoping it's just a slow starter.