C.G. Drews's Reviews > Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult, ya-without-romance

I feel utterly shaken right now. 0_0 This book is intense and really dark and the ending kind of had me like, "mY KINDLE IS BROKEN I NEED ANOTHER CHAPTER." Which I both love and hate. (Curse you, book.) Seriously though, it's the kind of book you end up forgetting how to breathe while you read it and it is so so well written.

It feels weird saying "I enjoyed this!" because it's NOT an enjoyable story. It's raw and emotional and shows such a darkly vicious side of the world. It's addictive because you want to unravel this mystery of a missing girl and her murdered sister, but you also, as you keep reading, get this absolute sick feeling about what's really going on.

I do believe it's best to go in knowing only a little about it! It's a mystery and like those are best served without too many details up front right?! But basically it's half told as a podcast series by a middle-age man -- and also half told in a really raw and aching 1st person narrative by Sadie herself. You get to see this podcaster unravelling the mystery of who Sadie talked to as she went searching for this man named "Darren". And you get to flip over and SEE Sadie following her journey towards to take down darkness with a switchblade.

Honestly it makes me want to cry. It is a really heavy story (upper YA for sure) and reminded me of Girl in Pieces too. Also it's very much about being poor, about people risking everything, about this intensely tight love for your sister, about neglect and abuse and trauma. It's a really important story too and gah, I wish it was fiction, but it's a story you could also hear on the news.

And Sadie?! I LOVE HER. She is one of the most dimensional and loveable characters ever, despite the fact that she doesn't seem loveable, I just ahhhh broke for her. She'd do anything for her sister, basically raised her, and she has this stutter and has to deal with all the discrimination for it. Also I absolutely choose to believe (view spoiler).

Basically? READ THIS. I still am just afdsakld all over the place it was so intense and heartbreaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sadie.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Courtney Summers
“And Sadie, if you’re out there, please let me know. Because I can’t take another dead girl.”
Courtney Summers, Sadie

June 3, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 6, 2018 – Started Reading
September 6, 2018 –
24.0% "This is already most addictive and I have QUESTIONS."
September 6, 2018 –
56.0% "This is actually chilling and I'm getting sTRESSED."
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
September 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Megan Great review! I've heard a lot of amazing things about this novel (and also how heartbreaking it is), and I can't wait to read it.

C.G. Drews Soo much recommend. I wish it had more chapters though ahhhhhh

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps I hear you about needing another chapter.

Andrea My Kindle was broken and I needed another chapter too! I’m exhausted from this journey.

Jessi I skimmed through your review (avoiding spoilers because I'm only 16% through it) and am just dropping in to mention that I'm listening to the audiobook right now and it's SPECTACULAR. Full cast--the podcast parts sound like a real podcast. It's so immersive.