Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die by John Ringo

Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, space-opera

I have read several books by John Ringo. I generally find that anything he writes is reliably a good read. This one would, in a perfect world, rate a little higher (for me anyway) than the last Ringo book I read. However since I can't really go all the way to 5 with it and the other is also undeniably a 4 star read, I'm left with little option. We'll just have to say this is one of the ubiquitous "4.5 star" ratings we almost all wish to give, but can't.

Now, why is this book, in my opinion a bit higher on the rating scale than the last?

Mr. Ringo's books are all solid science fiction with enough theoretical and mathematical meat on their bones to satisfy most any hard science fiction fan. Mr. Ringo himself seems to have little patience with those who don't appreciate the scientific depth of his work. Still, we're out here. In the Looking Glass books ( Into the Looking Glass is the first) several times I bogged down completely in the math LOL. Here while the science is solid I never had the urge to yawn and skip a bit...well, not more than once or twice. The book holds the interest, tells a page turner of a story and never flags. Good book.

We get a story here of what happens when Earth is suddenly jerked into a wider universe where we occupy a position much like that of the native American during the colonization of the "New World" or the tribal peoples met by the British Empire. Humans are not faring so well...one more "adventurous" race of aliens has decided to make Earth a protectorate. Of course they can't do that for free...and all the metals that would otherwise be useful in technological advancement and as trade goods are what we have to pay...each year...all of it...

Leaving Earth a third world type backwater planet where unemployment is rampant and a worldwide depression is in full swing.

Enter Tyler Vernon, and a product that is in high demand...off world, that no one expected.

This novel is the beginning of a new series by Mr. Ringo, but it holds up as a stand alone novel (aside from the fact that it ends with obviously more to come of course). It also gives Mr. Ringo lots of room to unlimber his own political and sociological views, of course since these don't differ a whole lot from my own that isn't a huge trial for me. (One thing to be aware of...(view spoiler)

The conflict in the book and political situations atop the development of the plot (and technological wonders) gives a great stage for this big story to be played out. All in all I like it and will more than likely follow it up.

Enjoy, 4 stars and recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live Free or Die.

02/24/2016 marked as: read