Norman LaVelle's Reviews > The President Is Missing

The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton

16519373

liked it

I will admit to being anxious to read this book because I have recently started reading political thrillers.  I've been a fan of Patterson for a number of years now.  So, him having access to the personal knowledge of an ex-president should make for a good story.  In short, I really enjoyed the book and found it very entertaining and suspenseful, now with that being said, not everything read well in books as it should in a movie.  This book will make for a good screenplay to become a movie and I will explain why.

The President is Missing opens up with what is supposed to be a hearing from an oversight committee with the President as their intended perp, but it is revealed to be a mock session set up by his team of advisors.  It turns out that because of a questionable decision made by the president, the Speaker of the House now has it out for him.  Due to national security implications theres not a lot that the president can divulge to the Speaker or anyone else he has dealing with throughout the day.  So, there is a lot of cloak and dagger going on in the first few chapter which really helps to build the mystery.

As the story continues to build we are introduced to a mysterious character that, through unconventional means, has a one on one set up between her and the president.  She assures him that if he does not comply with her request The United States will be in a world of hurt.  She also assured him that if anything happens to her, her partner would never be seen when he strikes.

The president agrees to her terms against all advice makes arrangements to leave The White House completely alone without any support or protection whatsoever and from there starts a worldwide of events that lead to cyberterrorism plot to bring the country to its knees making us vulnerable to attacks from any and everyone on all fronts.

You can clearly see which author had the most influence from chapter to chapter.  There will be chapters that have tons of political speak and conversations about regulations and laws, all Clinton.  Then a chapter that will build upon the mystery in a fast pace way with bullets coming from every direction in the midst of a black out with the concussive force of a grenade.  That was a Patterson chapter.

BUT here is why I say it would be better as a movie, from the climax of the book to the denouement, the focus was on the team of white hat hackers and coders that have been tasked with reversing and foiling the attack that is underway.  This is something that is hard to build a lot of steam behind because of the different points of views that need to be addressed.  I have to give it to Patterson he did the best he could, which was pretty damn good, making this read as well as it did.  You at times feel that you were there in the subbasement in the thick of it all.

Overall, I was not disappointed in the book, but that is one man's opinion.  I never go by what the majority says because they cannot speak for what I like.  If you are a fan of technology, action, political thriller and or mystery I encourage you to give it a try.  I gave just enough to entice but not enough to spoil it.  Let me know what you think. ~Norman LaVelle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President Is Missing.

June 3, 2018 – Started Reading
June 3, 2018 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 –
page 162
31.58% "So far so good. The President is the primary POV so needless to say there is a lot in his daily dealing that he must conceal for national security's sake. So there is a lot of cloak and dagger going on. The other POV is an assassin, for whom I dont know, and she is hiding just as much as as the President at this point. Lot of mystery so far. But it has my attention."
June 8, 2018 – Finished Reading