Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)'s Reviews > Lock 'N' Load

Lock 'N' Load by Tee O'Fallon

3.75 - 4 stars

If you haven’t guessed, I added this to my TBR because of the K9 on the cover. I am a sucker for dog books, and I love K9 stories. I have mixed success with suspense in general, but I still want to read every book with police or military dogs. This was a successful read, despite some problems with the heroine.

Trista is a analytical whiz, and she works for the CIA. A genius with computers and data, she has been following a Russian spy around the dark web for months. When a power glitch blows her cover, she suddenly finds herself the victim of two unsuccessful murder attempts. After her house is set on fire, with her in it, she is forced into protective custody, against her wishes.

Sgt Matt Connors works for the CIA in the K9 division. Thanks to his timely appearances, he manages to save Trista from certain death, with the help of his Belgian Shepherd, Sheba. When Matt is ordered to take Trista and hide, he takes her to his compound, which he hopes to one day turn into a rehab center for troubled youth and homeless dogs. With his buddies in town to work during the upcoming election, he is certain that Trista will be protected while in his care.

Well, she would have been if she had just followed the rules, but, the heck, this is romantic suspense, so Trista has to put herself in danger. That particular character flaw was annoying. I just don’t get it. If you have almost been murdered two times, I’d think you would keep your head down for a bit. But no, Trista continues her top secret computer surveillance, on Matt’s unsecured computer, and just gets herself into more trouble. Whelp, go figure.

The other thing that irked was Trista’s fear of dogs. I guess I get it, but I can’t comprehend being that fearful of a canine, especially one that is as well trained as Sheba. She’s a CIA employee, for goodness sake! Trista finds herself in her worst nightmare, since all of Matt’s friends are also K9 officers for various governmental agencies, so she is surrounded by dogs. And hot men. And I want to read more about the hot men. And their dogs.

The last half of the book was absolutely a page turner, and I could not put my iPad down. The big mystery and the resolution were well done, and despite Trista’s lack of self-preservation, I enjoyed Lock ‘N’ Load, and I am dying to know who the hero will be for the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock 'N' Load.

June 3, 2018 – Started Reading
June 3, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 –
13.0% "why why why do heroines in romantic suspense novels make such stupid, life-threatening decisions? and Trista is supposed to be smart? I don't care how much you like your job - it's not worth dying for"
June 4, 2018 –
June 4, 2018 –
41.0% "The stammering is driving me BONKERS"
June 5, 2018 –
51.0% "Having a hard time relating to the heroine, mainly because of her fear of dogs and her inability to speak without stammering whenever the hero is near."
June 6, 2018 –