Raina's Reviews > The Never Weres

The Never Weres by Fiona Smyth

Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: dystopia, graphicnovel, green, sci-fi, ya
Read in November, 2011

I dug this. I finished it and immediately went "Oh crap" since I put the lid on my list of middle school booktalk books a month or so ago. This feels like a new take on the dystopia genre, mostly fresh in the fact that it's a graphic novel which looks like a Lynda Barry piece.

A diverse trio of kids solve an underground mystery in the bowels of a dystopian city. Cloning, technoethics, environmental politics, family, art in society, and intergenerational friendship all come up. The illustration style is out-of-the-box, the topics are current, the appeal should attract kids who are hot on the Hunger Games trend.

To me, a lot of the weaknesses other reviewers brought up can be chalked up to the narrative framework. There's a legendary quality here, one that gave me goosebumps at the end.

I kind of wish it was in color to make it pop that much more, but this is solid, and might have to bump something else out of my booktalk lineup for 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Never Weres.

07/03/2016 marked as: read

Edmund Davis-Quinn Would have liked this book to be much darker considering the subject matter, enjoyed it but think it could have been so much better. I think in this case having teenaged characters hurt the book.

Raina To me, the teenaged characters are an essential part of making it accessible to middle school students - a major reason I'm excited about it. Not sure what I would have thought if it had been just another adult dystopian tale.