C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wayward Son

Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2019, paranormal, young-adult

I have been SO deeply and anxiously anticipating this book. I am just sitting here, breathing raggedly, after having my heart squashed all over the place with so many feels. I really love these kids okay?! And I love adventures that follow ex-heros and talk about mental illnesses and the trauma of being a kid soldier. It's a magical adventure, written in a contemporary style, and it combines the two perfectly. Because look at me. I'm wretched. I have feelings. I want to fling myself through several dimensions and get the 3rd book right goddamn now.

The whole story, in essence, is a roadtrip. And of course they uncover chaos along the way (lots and lots of vampire chaos). But there's so many domestic scenes?! I busted out laughing out loud so so many times. Like it was eternally soft and damaged, and then it was full of mild crime, and then it was full of blood and disaster.

Perfect.😌🙌🏻I am won over, completely.

The only thing I wanted more of is emotional explorations. Simon x Baz are fractured. Simon is so so damaged and he's not coping, so there's relationship angst by the bucketload. I am dying for my boys. But as we got more action, we got less of them actually unpacking the psychological aspects, and I do wish there'd been more of that.

Otherwise I'm kind of just here with my heart full, and realising I'm mildly obsessed with this series. I just want more of this?! Casual magic, domestic scenes, all the best fanfic tropes, bloody kisses, intense friendships, and roadtrips were things explode and you accidentally trip over evils tail when you meant to just have a holiday. I [clenches fist] argh, I love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayward Son.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“Simon Snow, it hurts to look at you when you’re this happy.
And it hurts to look at you when you’re
depressed.
There’s no safe time for me to see you, nothing about you that doesn’t tear my heart from my chest and leave it breakable outside my body.”

“Can I?” he asks.
Can you what, Simon? Kiss me? Kill me? Break my heart?
I touch him like he’s made of butterfly wings.
“You don’t have to ask.” I say it loud enough that he’ll hear me, over everything.”

Rainbow Rowell
“The wind is blowing Simon’s hair straight, and he’s squinting—from the sun and from all the smiling. “What!” he shouts at me again.
“You’re so beautiful!” I shout back.
He turns the radio down, so now there’s just the wind and the engine noise to shout over. “What’d you say?!”
“Nothing!”

June 3, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 18, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 –
page 120
32.61% "i love these characters too much therefore i am all of the anxious while reading this."
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 19, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps Wonderful when an anticipate book meets or exceeds expectations.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna I love that Rowell just casually invented these characters for fanfiction in another book and then they eXPLODED INTO A WORLD OF THEIR OWN