Joanne LaFleur's Reviews > The Power

The Power by Naomi Alderman

This was a very enjoyable, and agonizing, bit of feminist literature. Alderman illustrates for readers what it is like to be a woman in today's world by flipping it on its head and imagining a universe where women are becoming the dominant sex. This book is sure to terrify anyone with a reasonably developed sense of humanity, but it will be particularly terrifying to men's rights activists (MRAs), who are likely to miss the point completely. The point is that all of the terrifying things that are happening to men in this book are things that are currently happening to women all over the world, and yet most of us are just going about our business as if it doesn't matter. Maybe we should be tearing it all down, as the MRAs in this book try to do.

The bizarro Alderman mirror also introduces some interesting feminist concepts. For example, her story suggests that women are not actually the more innately peaceful and loving sex, as has been posited by the 'benevolent sexists' who think it helps women to put them on a pedestal, but rather that they have committed fewer atrocities than men only because they have lacked the power to commit as many. Her story also suggests that the reluctance of people today to ever have imagined a history in which there could have been a matriarchal order is more a result of our tendency to look at archeological evidence through the lens of our current culture than it is a fact of history.

It's true I have a tendency to rate books higher than most of my more critical friends. I love books and I give stars to any book that helps me develop a greater understanding of my experience. (That's 'education,' as John Dewey says.) This book certainly did that. That said, Alderman does a great job of keeping the action moving. She adds her opinions to our culture's ongoing conversation about male-supremacy without once lapsing into a long and boring treatise about her philosophy (a la Ayn Rand).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power.

June 3, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2018 – Started Reading
August 28, 2018 –
page 154
August 29, 2018 –
page 246
September 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa This one sounds interesting! LOL @ Ayn Rand.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa PS- I’m a rating inflator too

Joanne LaFleur Right. I have to throw in my little anti-Ayn Rand thoughts when I can. ;)