Ira's Reviews > Sweet Home Highlander

Sweet Home Highlander by Amalie Howard

bookshelves: to-read, ebook

I really wanted Niall and Aisla to get back together because it is so very obvious that those two are in love despite everything that happened between them and I must admit that their lack of communication or sometimes even their malcommunication made me a bit mad. Fortunately, before they really made me mad, they started to talk and ...well.

This book pulled me in and kept me reading despite their lack of proper communication. I loved Niall and Aisla and hated those that tried to tear them apart - again. Actually, I really didn't understand that Niall didn't see any of that (okay, he is a man, so probably that explains it all). I also loved most of the minor characters and I can't wait to read Makenna's story which will hopefully follow (very) soon!

Back to Niall and Aisla though. This heartwarming and heart-breaking second chance story was written beautifully and comes along with lots of treachery, misunderstandings and pure viciousness which were perfectly balanced by true love, friendship and loyalty. A really nice story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and I am already looking forward to the next book in this new series!

(One thing though - I was a bit upset because despite the fact that we read very often about the devastating effect that alcohol had on Niall's character (even tough he himself doesn't really acknowledge it despite the fact that he never drinks anymore), he smells is and tasts it again without any effect. He even prides himself because of his strong character that would allow him to never really drink again, a sip or a glass would be okay, though. Okay, I know that in those times people didn't know anything about it but I know that it is not that easy to drink "just one glass" or "just one sip" if you have been addicted to alcohol and honestly, as often as he was seriously drunk, as much as he destroyed by his drinking, I consider him a former addict - and I wouldn't let him near any alcohol because the danger of a relapse is always there. I know, that has nothing to do with the book itself but having met quite a number of former addicts in my life, it feels wrong to accept that Niall just drinks - or not - without any danger of a relapse.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Home Highlander.

June, 2018 – Started Reading