Jennifer's Reviews > Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England

Inside the Victorian Home by Judith Flanders

bookshelves: non-fiction

A major work of scholarship that reflects an almost inconceivable amount of research. Well-written, profusely illustrated, populated with interesting and revealing anecdotes drawn from real and fictional lives, Inside the Victorian Home does a superior job of defining and bringing to life the Victorian era (primarily as the middle class experienced it). Unlike some 'popular' histories, Flanders' text is documented by end notes galore, and supplemented by a 22 page list of her primary and secondary sources. Had this bible been available a few decades ago when I was making my way through all of Hardy, Dickens, and the Brontes, and the bulk of the other classics of Victorian literature, I could have imbibed in a gulp from Flanders what I learned in sips on my own. A better understanding of the times would have raised still higher my appreciation for those novels I devoured so eagerly. An all-around tremendous achievement that is recommended to anyone who enjoys reading (or writing) about the era.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Victorian Home.

Started Reading