Bex (Beckie Bookworm)'s Reviews > Traitor

release-date_1
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️STARS
ARC BOOK REVIEW
Release Date-6/6/18

This was such an unexpected little gem; so emotive and heart-wrenching in its brutality.
But also strangely uplifting and profound at the same time.
I felt so connected to the storyline and its characters here and this was one read that definitely snuck up on me in stealth mode; catching me completely unawares with its rawness and individuality.
From the second of starting this, I was ever so intrigued; The tale told here was so unique and so different it was in a genre all of its own class and I found myself struggling to classify this as it crossed so many lines with its profound message and agenda.
A real standout story that captured my attention with its ultimate distinctiveness.
"Traitor" in its first half almost seemed to rely more on the sentiment and simple interactions between Kaleb and Andie than any shock tactics to hook and draw in its reader and that was a real plus point for me.
Maybe that’s why in the second half the sheer brutality portrayed was such a contrast; it really reflected back the almost simplistic beginning here when placed and held up against such utter savagery as we encountered in “The prisoner” chapters; truly shocking.
The prose used here was so good Building anticipation and a sense of almost injustice against this post-apocalyptic waste-ground.
There was such originality in the way this story unfolded; Its a tale of two halves and though told in dual POV rather than it being alternate chapters; which is the usual norm; this book is split down the centre; with Andie's perspective first; closely followed by Kaleb's.
And rather than chapters dedicated to the build-up in Kaleb and Andie's relationship; what we get is a series of flashbacks to more closely explain how there deep and profound connection ultimately developed.
This was such an original way of narrating and one I really adored.
The author doesn't go into great back detail; it is assumed that the reader is somewhat aware of previous past endeavours; I found that this was not a great issue as the story is somewhat self-explanatory and so easy to follow along with.
As I mentioned previously; this has a sort of dystopian apocalyptic feel to it; A civil war rages across all fronts and our two main characters both seem to have there own personal roles to play.
This is almost a love across the barricades romance; one where you are forced to pick a faction but where both are equally abhorrent in their ultimate behaviour and intention; both sides guilty; nether innocent; both awash in shades of grey; is the real sense you take away from this touching poignant tale.
In fact, its poor Kaleb who gets caught in this crossfire who is the ultimate victim here; a pawn in this stalemate of wills and at the mercy and whims of powerful individuals; it's truly heartbreaking to witness the extent of his suffering at the hands of a monster.
I could have wept rivers of pain for his agony, torment and terror.
How much misery and despair he must have endured internally to swallow his pride and beg for mercy in the way he did; truly tragic and dehumanising; a casualty of war not of his making.
But we also get to experience the other side of the coin; how just when you think life cant give you any more surprises it throws you curveballs.
That hope is not lost and people can still amaze you with there ingrained humanity.
Ultimately what I took away from this was a profound sense of faith and that even in the dark there can be a glimmer of light; for Kaleb, that is Andie she is his very beacon of hope.
Loved the ending here; I was worried for a second; so was so pleased to not have my expectations dashed just for cruel shock value ; It was a bit of a phew moment for me there.
This was my first book by this author but so won't be my last; I cant recommend this read enough; this is fiction at its best outstanding.
Thank You to the Author for providing me with an ARC of "Traitor (Twisted Fate, #1) " of which I have reviewed voluntary.
All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
TRAITOR-Good
Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traitor.

June 2, 2018 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: dystopian
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: war
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: boss-employee
June 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by *~* Susie (new) - added it

*~* Susie Great review Bex! I always love a hidden gem too. I'll be checking this one out.

Bex (Beckie Bookworm) *~* Susie wrote: "Great review Bex! I always love a hidden gem too. I'll be checking this one out."

Thanks, Susie this is one I really devoured hope you like it, babe :)

message 3: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Marin After reading your review, I had to go look this book up. I'm so freaking glad I did! ;) I started reading last night and could not put it down😁 I always love seeing what you read next, great book choices 😘

Bex (Beckie Bookworm) Samantha wrote: "After reading your review, I had to go look this book up. I'm so freaking glad I did! ;) I started reading last night and could not put it down😁 I always love seeing what you read next, great book ..."

Aw thanks Samantha happy to help and so glad you adored Traitor as much as me; this has to be one of my all-time fave reads 😘