Monica Mac's Reviews > The Not So Perfect Mother

The Not So Perfect Mother by Kerry Fisher

I have read a couple of books by this author before, and when I got the opportunity to read this book, I grabbed it with both hands.

Maia is a cleaner who is in a relationship with a guy who is quite comfy, thanks very much, to let her do all the running around from one poorly paid job after another, whilst he sits on the couch and pretends to look for work himself. On top of that, he enjoys lording it over her and has a particularly close relationship with their daughter which means that their daughter is hard to handle as well. Luckily Maia has her easy-going son and her job for one particular elderly lady, which helps her feel a little bit better about herself.

Then comes a big upheaval when her kids find themselves trying to get by in a very exclusive school. They are fish out of water, and Maia doesn't fit it either with the other mums, but she tries very hard. I really liked the character of Maia so much.

This is a very multi-layered book, actually. There are a lot of comical situations which I loved, but there are also cringe-worthy moments that are all too easy to imagine as well. Also an interesting look at the different strata of society that people inhabit and what kinds of things are important etc.

I highly recommend this book. I really would like to meet this author one day, she has such a wonderful knack for storytelling!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Not So Perfect Mother.

January 7, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
June 2, 2018 – Started Reading