jessica's Reviews > Asking For It

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill

it was ok

this was H E A V Y.

also, note - im rating this for the book itself (i did not like the writing style, the abundance of characters and lack of evident transitions made it difficult to follow the story, i found the main character difficult to empathise with, etc.). if i was rating this based on the message alone, it would probably get four stars because i cannot state how important it is for a story like this to be told. sure, the execution wasnt for me, but that doesnt diminish the need for awareness in regards to situations like this. i would have liked to have seen a different ending - one that would have included justice for emma - but that doesnt always happen in real life. i understand how the focus was on emmas mental state, dealing with what happened to her and how to move on from something like this. these kind of situations dont just happen in books, they happen every day in real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asking For It.

June 2, 2018 – Shelved
June 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
June 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Cotterell So true Jessica. Great review.

jessica thanks, alan!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Beautiful review, jessica!

jessica thank you, diane!! x

message 5: by Kia (new) - added it

Kia Abdullah Argh, I was debating whether to give this three or four stars and settled on being generous because of the subject matter. As you said, issues around consent are so important and I think the author dealt with this well, but the excess of characters in various scenes — particularly at the beginning – was very confusing. I also struggled with the repetition of certain phrases (pink flesh). I know what the author was trying to do, but this lost its effect after a while. Anyway, thank you for the honest review!

jessica im relieved to see someone else struggled with rating this, as well! i think there were many factors which led to my low rating (wasnt in the mood for this kind of story, didnt connect with the writing, etc.) but its hard to objectively rate that when the meaning/message of the book cant be rated, you know? but im glad you were feeling more generous than i was! :P

message 7: by Sana (new)

Sana AGREE WITH YOU. The book was slacky written

MeggieBree I haven't read this one yet, so can't agree or disagree with your review, but if you want a couple of (IMO) well-written books on the same subject, All the Rage by Courtney Summers or What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler were both good.