Robin's Reviews > My Girls: A Lifetime with Carrie and Debbie

My Girls by Todd  Fisher

bookshelves: memoir-celebrity, best-of-2018

When I brought this home I expected a lightweight tribute to his mother, Debbie Reynolds, and sister, Carrie Fisher, perhaps told with a bit of condescension and would skim to pick out the "juicy" parts. Well, turned out it more candid and detailed than I expected about the family's life and a lovely homage to his family.

Debbie had a core of steel but it was Todd who kept this family together and resilient, even though he suffered through his own setbacks. The most interesting parts were the descriptions of his privileged childhood in the glamorous world of 1950s Hollywood and his various relationships (can you imagine a mother allowing her 16-year-old son to bring home an older woman from Europe as a “playmate”? I would lay odds there are many who didn’t know that side of Debbie Reynolds.). The details of their many financial setbacks were horrifying, which leads readers to wonder how on earth the scammers (including ex-spouses, managers, accountants) got away with what they did.

If I had any issues with the book, it was that the sections outlining building a museum for Reynolds' memorabilia got a little too detailed and was a bit painful to read as I knew it was never going to happen. But the inside info on both his mother's and Carrie's lives was fascinating and at times sad, and I left the book thinking they both deserved better lives.

I highly recommend this heartfelt and touching memoir to anyone who is familiar with the stars, and if you're like me, will be touched by the deaths of two beloved movie stars. This is also a good bet for those who don’t want a lot of crude content and profanity that has been appearing in many recent celebrity memoirs.

Also recommend for anyone who has read Debbie Reynolds’ Make 'Em Laugh: Short-Term Memories of Longtime Friends (or read it after this), and Carrie Fisher’s memoirs such as Shockaholic and Wishful Drinking. Readers of Reynolds’ memoirs may find some repetition but Todd has included information not included in her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Girls.

June 2, 2018 – Shelved
June 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 2, 2018 – Shelved as: memoir-celebrity
July 9, 2018 – Started Reading
July 11, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Very nice review :-) I too found the parts about Debbie's financial woes involving the hoped for movie museum depressing. I read Debbie's book "Unsinkable" and put it on the side months ago after feeling drained by it.

Robin Thank you! Try Make'Em Laugh as it's definitely a lighter and funny read.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna My mom would have loved this book