Vit Babenco's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

19283284

Some persons live their life as if they’re just playing a game. And such is Holly Golightly – she doesn’t live, she’s travelling light… Exactly like her name may suggest.
Her bedroom was consistent with her parlor: it perpetuated the same camping-out atmosphere; crates and suitcases, everything packed and ready to go, like the belongings of a criminal who feels the law not far behind.

She doesn’t want to exist in reality, she doesn’t want to grow up, and her life goes on as though she lives in a dollhouse.
“You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it. I’ve tried with tears running down my cheeks.”

She dreams her great American dream and in this way Breakfast at Tiffany's echoes The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Holly Golightly believes that there is a crock of gold hidden at the end of the rainbow…
I don’t mean I’d mind being rich and famous. That’s very much on my schedule, and someday I’ll try to get around to it; but if it happens, I’d like to have my ego tagging along. I want to still be me when I wake up one fine morning and have breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Dreams of a beautiful life have been the ruins of many a poor girl… And the story keeps repeating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

June 2, 2018 – Started Reading
June 2, 2018 – Shelved
June 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Vit!

message 2: by Vit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vit Babenco Thank you, Diane.

Margitte It was quite a controversial book for its times. But so well written. Loved your review, Vit.

message 4: by Vit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vit Babenco Thank you, Margitte. Uncontroversial books are forgotten too soon, I guess.

message 5: by William (new)

William Great review. Very insightful. "Breakfast at Tiffany's echoes The Great Gatsby"

message 6: by Vit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vit Babenco Thank you, William.