Brenda's Reviews > Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow

Wundersmith by Jessica  Townsend

Nine young people in Morrigan Crow’s unit – nine who had said under oath to be friends, be loyal to each other. Morrigan was thrilled to finally have a family; to have people who cared about her. When they all began their classes, the students had ingenious and exciting things to learn – all except Morrigan, whose teacher would concentrate on Wundersmith’s alone – and how evil and degraded they all were, both past and present. Morrigan’s patron, Jupiter North, did all he could to change the Elder’s minds about her classes, but they wouldn’t be budged…

When first one, then another went missing, Jupiter was away, searching constantly. His nephew Jack was occasionally by Morrigan’s side – when his schooling allowed – as was her best friend Hawthorne. But with the blackmailing threats focused on Morrigan’s group, she feared she would have no one left by her side. Everyone blamed her for the misfortunes that were happening – what could she do? And what had Ezra Squall to do with it all? The fear rippling through Nevermoor was infiltrating everyone.

Wow! What.A.Ride!! Wundersmith is the second in the Nevermoor series by Aussie author Jessica Townsend, and it is just as fantastical and exciting as the first. Fast paced with loads of action, plenty of magic and heart stopping tension, Wundersmith is one I highly recommend. But I also suggest Nevermoor be read first so the full benefit of the series is felt.

With thanks to Hachette AU for my ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wundersmith.

June 2, 2018 – Shelved
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: speculative-fiction
November 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Good to know. I bought the first one for my son, but for some stupid kid reason he refuses to read it.

message 2: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Nice review Brenda!

message 3: by Sally906 (new) - added it

Sally906 Can't wait to read it - my library has it on order and my name is top of the reserve list!!!

message 4: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Nice review Brenda! Sounds like the sequel is just as good as the first!

Brenda Bianca wrote: "Good to know. I bought the first one for my son, but for some stupid kid reason he refuses to read it."

Depends on his age Bianca, but I'm pretty sure from around 13 or 14 years of age they would love them! I'm thinking of letting my grandson read them soon :)

Brenda Sally906 wrote: "Can't wait to read it - my library has it on order and my name is top of the reserve list!!!"

You'll love it Sally! Hope they're not too long getting it in :)

Brenda Susanne wrote: "Nice review Brenda!"

Thanks Susanne :)

Carolyn wrote: "Nice review Brenda! Sounds like the sequel is just as good as the first!"

Definitely Carolyn - thanks! Can't wait to see what Morrigan gets up to next!

message 8: by Li'l Owl (last edited Nov 09, 2018 08:02AM) (new) - added it

Li'l Owl My book is on the way! I've also taken a chance and purchased the CD-audio even though it doesn't say anywhere who the narrator is. I listened to the first one when you introduced it to me last year as it was available on Audible, narrated by Gemma Whelan. I listened to it again last month and thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. Disappointedly, this one isn't available through Audible, the library, or anywhere except this CD. I'm really hoping it will be good. I did order the book, though, just in case. We shall see. I should be getting it in the post in a week or so.
I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this one!
I read the part where you said 'Wow! What. A. Ride!' !!
I'll read your full review after I've read it later this month!

Brenda Thanks Owl - you'll enjoy whatever way your "read" it :)

Maren Agreed. I love it. Loved the first one and like this even more. Brilliant

Brenda Thanks Maren, glad you loved it too!

message 12: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Great review, I'm getting this for Christmas, though I'm very close to going and buying it beforehand as I loved book 1. I'll put your review in the Spec fiction round-up on the 5th Dec

Brenda Thanks Claire! I've seen it in Big W for around $12 which I thought was pretty amazing! And that's great - thanks :)

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy This one is going under the tree for my third son who loved the first book! Great review Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Kathy :) You should read them too! So very good!