Julie Davis's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Nov 29, 2011

Read 8 times. Last read September 8, 2017 to September 14, 2017.

Julie and Scott have been warned away from a business meeting with Dracula at his castle. They won't shirk their duty no matter how many rosaries the locals give them. And man... this pasta has a LOT of garlic in it.

Episode 168 of A Good Story is Hard to Find has our discussion.

=========

CLOSE REREADING
You know, it's funny what constitutes comfort reading when you are ill. Struck down by a recent stomach virus, I reached for Dracula both in audiobook and print form. For one thing I know the book so well that I could drift into sleep and the come awake knowing just where I was in the book. I'm not sure of my other motivations but there you go. The mind is a mysterious thing. I'm now recovered but the lure of Dracula remains as I continue.

=========
REREADING yet again
Mythgard Academy began covering Dracula and though I was just listening along at first, I have been pulled back into rereading it along with the "class assignments." Corey Olsen is a wonderful instructor/conversationalist and I am appreciating the skill that went into writing this book more than ever. UPDATE - finishing the text part of the class, I take my hat off to Corey Olsen. He looked at layers I'd never seen, in a Lord of the Rings kind of way. This has always been one of my favorite books and now it is very close to Tolkien territory.

REREADING - The Naxos audiobook is simply fantastic. I was just sampling it and couldn't quit. So I guess I'm rereading it yet again.

UPDATE - I just finished listening to Van Helsing's speech to Dr. Seward pointing out that he doesn't know everything just because he's a scientist.
"Can you tell me why the tortoise lives more long than generations of men; why the elephant goes on and on till he have seen dynasties; and why the parrot never die only of bite of cat or dog or other complaint? Can you tell me why men believe in all ages and places that there are some few who live on always if they be permit; that there are men and women who cannot die?..."
I recently read the Book of Job in its entirety and was suddenly struck by how familiar Van Helsing's cadences had become. It is a direct lifting of the style of chapter 28 where God speaks to Job out of the whirlwind:
Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone--while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?...
Really wonderful to find that gem in this great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
March 7, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
October 22, 2011 – Started Reading
November 29, 2011 – Shelved
page 200
page 175
page 175
35.86% "Chapter 10 out of 27"
November 30, 2011 –
page 200
December 7, 2011 –
page 220
45.08% "27 chapters overall."
January 3, 2012 –
page 290
59.43% "27 chapters total. On ch. 16 now."
February 16, 2012 –
page 400
February 22, 2012 –
page 440
February 22, 2012 –
page 440
90.16% "I am fairly sure there is no better audio reading of Dracula than the cast that Heather Ordover assembled to read this book for her CraftLit / Just the Books podcasts. Holy moly, my skin was crawling listening to the most recent chapters (23-25)"
March 9, 2012 –
page 475
97.34% "Just one chapter left! This has been an exceptionally fruitful book for CraftLit / Just the Books (or so it seems to me). I'll be very sorry when it is done."
March 10, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2017 – Started Reading
September 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by booklady (new)

booklady Thanks for CraftLit link Julie!

Julie Davis You'll love it!

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander Van Helsing is wild. Such a weird science hero.

Julie Davis Bryan wrote: "Van Helsing is wild. Such a weird science hero."

Kind of perfect in that "science meets faith" way. I remember the shock I received a few years ago when he made the putty with the Eucharist. It was the first time I'd read it since becoming Catholic and that hit me hard. But I also loved that Van Helsing didn't let popular superstition of any sort interfere with what worked. :-)

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander Julie wrote: "Bryan wrote: "Van Helsing is wild. Such a weird science hero."

Yes indeed. He mixes in science, religion, folklore.
Reminds me of contemporary efforts to find unified theories of history and people.

Julie Davis Yep. The "whatever works" method. :-)

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander Good timing. The novel starts this week.

Julie Davis Bryan wrote: "Good timing. The novel starts this week."

Not sure what that means? I was doing it as a readalong for the ongoing Mythgard Academy study. They've stalled out somehow but I just kept going. Couldn't help it!

message 9: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander "CHAPTER I

Julie Davis Bryan wrote: ""CHAPTER I

(Kept in shorthand.)
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P. M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning...""

AHHHHHH! One of my weaknesses ... ignoring dates in books. :-) Perfect, thank you!

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander Julie wrote: "Bryan wrote: ""CHAPTER I

(Kept in shorthand.)

AHHHHHH! One of my weak..."

Did you see our Dracula blog project?

Julie Davis Bryan wrote: "Julie wrote: "Bryan wrote: ""CHAPTER I

AHHHHHH! ..."

No! Link please!

message 13: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander http://infocult.typepad.com/dracula/

We've been doing this every year for, oh, almost 10 years now.

Julie Davis No wonder you knew May 3! Actually I think I've come across that before. Though I might not have known you were associated with it. It is a fantastic idea. And it gave me instant access to one of my favorite lines, which I only noticed a couple of readings ago:

"I shall be glad as long as I live that even in that moment of final dissolution, there was in the face a look of peace, such as I never could have imagined might have rested there."

message 15: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Alexander Yes. :)

And thanks. It's a fun project.