Terry Earley's Reviews > Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain

Spark by John J. Ratey

Nov 29, 2011

From the last chapter:
The point I've tried to make — that exercise is the single most powerful tool you have to optimize your brain function —is based on evidence I've gathered from hundreds and hundreds of research papers, most of them published only within the past decade. Our understanding of how the brain works has absolutely exploded in this relatively short period, and it's been an incredibly exciting time for anyone interested in the human condition.

This was another eye opener. After reading "The Secret Life of the Grown-up Brain: The Surprising Talents of the Middle-Aged Mind" by Barbara Strauch and "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength" by Roy Baumeister, I was ready for this informative, well documented book.

Exercise makes us feel good, but now you can have documentary proof that stress, anxiety, depression, attention deficit, addiction, hormonal changes, and even aging are dramatically helped by exercise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.