Pamela's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Nov 29, 2011

did not like it
Read in November, 2011

I should probably change my rating from one star to two as I did manage to finish this piece of garbage. Is this supposed to be a YA book? I did the math, and the people the references seem to be appealing to are those who were young in the 80s. They aren't YAs today.

Some observations:

The author explains why things are so bad that people are happier in a virtual world, but he never says why IQs have dropped 20 or so points. I mean, come on! That first clue...and the reader is supposed to believe that ALL these people have been working on it for years? Gimme a freakin' break!

Author fails to explain why there's no equivalent of Google. Since obviously the characters can't figure out anything on their own, you would think they would at least be able to "google" some of their questions.

Hero's side kick turns out to be (view spoiler) OMG! How clever is that!

The Baddie works for a giant corporation! Now that's original...

I could go on and on, but this pile of crap doesn't deserve the keystrokes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

02/25/2016 marked as: read

Alice The only reason I didn't mention the YA-ness of this book in my review is because I like YA, and didn't want to insult it by associating it with pedestrian, low-stakes writing.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg I just wanted to point out that there is not an age requirement to enjoy YA novels. I love them and was a child of the 80s

Matt1962 Terrible review Pamela. The characters are constantly using search engines - just not ones conveniently labelled for you. As for the sidekick spoiler, sexuality wasn't the point, it was about gender and the nature of people behind their avatars.

I don't see this as a YA novel at all. I'm almost 50, and people of my vintage who lived through the 80s as young people are best placed to appreciate the countless fond nods to that era. I respect your right to criticise this book, but think you've failed to justify that criticism.

Bryan Raines This might be one of the most low quality reviews on GR. Did you really call this book a "piece of garbage"?

Pamela Bryan wrote: "This might be one of the most low quality reviews on GR. Did you really call this book a "piece of garbage"?"

Yes, Bryan, I did call this book a "piece of garbage", and in case you missed it, I also called it "a pile of crap".

Just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong or that I have written a "low quality review". You obviously enjoyed the book. I just as obviously did not.

So......I suggest you GET OVER IT!

message 6: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Billings I very much agree with this review. Brian and Matt must have really low standards for writing quality if they like the 'book'.

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin Bryan is right the review was not constructed well at all, if you read the book you would have never expected aech to be a lesbian or black or female. Yas means the lowest target audienc and up and what the fuck are you talking about iq

message 8: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Lions ahh shaddup! Im reading it NOW AND Im enjoying it. IQs in usa for the most part are barely above retard

message 9: by Kris (new) - rated it 1 star

Kris I think the comments here in favor of the book speak for themselves. There are no words in the English language negative enough in connotation to describe this book.

Pamela Kris, you are right. "Piece of garbage" and "pile of crap" were the best I could come up with, but I am afraid owe an apology to crap and garbage for comparing them to this. It is one of, if not THE worst books I have ever read.

message 11: by Ivo (new) - rated it 1 star

Ivo Savage. I love this review.

message 12: by Pamela (last edited Oct 03, 2015 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Pamela Thank you, Ivo! It is not very often that you come across a book that is this bad on all fronts: character, plot, and writing.

As you can tell from some of the comments, fan boys get upset when you don't like their 'stuff'. :)

Matthew I did like this book quite a bit, but a lot of it was the nostalgia. It does not bother me that your review is harsh - that is your prerogative. Not sure why you were being asked to defend it.

Pamela Matthew, that's what had me baffled, too. The attack was not only quite vicious, it carried over to other venues. I'm afraid that now with the movie being planned, there are going to be new problems.

I have written as harsh if not harsher reviews of other books and not had any problems. I have read extremely harsh reviews of books I loved and not caused any problems. Seems this book--for some reason--makes a very emotional connection with its fans.

Oh well, that's how it goes. :)

Endymion This book is absolutely YA, despite being about things from the 80s. I laugh every time I see anyone make an argument a la "it can't be YA, because I'm ___ years old and I liked it." Those two facts have nothing to do with each other. There are Dr. Suess stories I like, but that doesn't change the fact that they're written at a Kindergarten level.

As for all the feedback your review is getting... the GoodReads community tends to be extremely biased towards anything YA, because the sad truth is that a junior-high-school reading level is all the complexity people nowadays can handle in something they're reading for fun. I've never gotten any flak for any reviews I've written, no matter how negative, for any books except YA.