Lola 's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, philosophy, audiobook
Read 2 times. Last read June 1, 2018.

Preachy, pretentious, and awful portrayal of women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.

Finished Reading
June 1, 2018 – Started Reading
June 1, 2018 – Shelved
June 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Kaitlin Couldn't agree more!

message 2: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Robertson Finally, someone who I can agree with.

♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name) I read this in school and my teacher absolutely raved on and on about this book saying it’s the only book they reread and blah blah and I’m like I feel sorry for you.

message 4: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Just what I thought! Absolutely overhyped and pathetic!

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Yikes! Sorry, Lola :( Sure hope your next read is a fabulous one! XoX

message 6: by Tucker (new)

Tucker is this nfiction?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Isadora (new)

Isadora paulo coelho is the brazilian author every brazilian despises!! i couldn’t agree with you more about this book... can’t really understand all this hype about him abroad :(

Lola Dakota wrote: "I read this in school and my teacher absolutely raved on and on about this book saying it’s the only book they reread and blah blah and I’m like I feel sorry for you."

oh my god... was it a man, out of curiosity? :P

Lola Tucker wrote: "is this nfiction?"

nope!

Lola KAS wrote: "Yikes! Sorry, Lola :( Sure hope your next read is a fabulous one! XoX"

Lola Isadora wrote: "paulo coelho is the brazilian author every brazilian despises!! i couldn’t agree with you more about this book... can’t really understand all this hype about him abroad :("

oh my! I mean, it is different from other books, and curious... but there's so much that's wrong about it!

Lola Brianna Monique wrote: "I couldn't even finish this book, partly due to my dog eating it but the part I read was trash"

hahaha! At least someone could enjoy it ;)

message 14: by Tucker (new)

Tucker Sorry... I put the mistyped fiction with n at the beginning. I meant is it fiction.

Lola Yeah, but it's not realistic at all, so almost fantasy.

message 16: by Seadrift (new)

Seadrift I find it interesting that a Brazilian-born and raised author achieved world-class success by writing about a region in Spain. Usually, writers only write about the Countries they are from. Mr. Stephen King himself, most, if not all, of his novels take place in Maine lol..

message 17: by Krous (new)

Krous Leocadio I find it interesting that a Brazilian-born and raised author achieved world-class success by writing about a region in Spain. Usually, writers only write about the Countries they are from. Mr. Stephen King himself, most, if not all, of his novels take place in Maine lol.. You would be surprise, but it's becomming more and more common to brazilians writers to write about other places than Brazil. For many reasons.

Manisha Yes! Exactly!

message 19: by Nocturnalux (new)

Nocturnalux I remember Coelho once wrote about a country where he served as a diplomat and somehow managed to get the capital city's name wrong, which is quite an achievement. I think this got corrected in later editions but the first one was published with the error, the translator who presented it to the country in question kept it and added a note to the effect that the author had made a mistake. Not just once either, he mentioned it several times and got it wrong every single one. Quite a feat.

Masooma Opps :)

message 21: by (new)

Rê Yep. Brazilian and not a fan.

message 22: by Adila (new)

Adila Badri I’m so glad u reviewed this. I was going back and forth about if I should read this book.

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Yay, I have found someone who agrees!

Marty I totally agree. I thought I was the only person who did not like this book, it's always on the "Must read" lists. Well, it sucked.

message 25: by Tohid_ava (new)

Tohid_ava Why do you think so? The women part?!

message 26: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher O'Brien never mind it sounds like a poor remake of The Wizard of Oz.