Ankur's Reviews > Yuganta, The End Of An Epoch

Yuganta, The End Of An Epoch by Irawati Karve

Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, indian-authors, owned
Read from December 12 to 16, 2011

i have always been fascinated by the history or religion - how we came to believe in what we believe today, and how our myths and folklore have been created.

i am also a rationalist, who looks to find the kernel of truth which has grown into the mythic belief. So my interest was obviously aroused when i heard of this book which critically analyses the main characters of Mahabharata, and actually dares to say Krishna was a mere mortal! i was hoping that the book will give me a different point of view of Mahabharata and open my eyes to the underlying story...

i am happy to say that the book did that amply and beyond. it tore into the current text of Mahabharata and separated the original from later additions, and came up with insightful essays on each of the central characters of Mahabharata.

the writing is crisp and the analysis is crystal. the only jarring note is the lack of corroboration or citations. It wud hv been great if she cud hv supported her views with cross references from other texts which contradict the Mahabharata as we know it.

Highly recommended to all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yuganta, The End Of An Epoch.