Liz's Reviews > As the Tide Comes In

As the Tide Comes In by Cindy Woodsmall

I've heard that grief is the price you pay for loving so much. Tara certainly found that to be true as she works through the sudden loss of her half-brothers. Spiritually, physically, and emotionally she finds herself spinning, spiraling to a place where she has difficulty finding her bearings. She encounters God, Gavin, and the Glynn Girls, and bit by bit, her mysterious past starts making sense - maybe more than her present or future.

My favorite part of this book was the end of chapter 32 where Tara has her "God moment." She spends the night alone in her late grandmother's art studio, pouring out all her tears and "whys" to God. She senses His message to her is "Look for love, not loss," and she begins to see her childhood and the pain of her abandonment in a different light. Rather than resenting the mother who disappointed her, she instead sees the benefits of each foster home and friendship. She realizes she would never have met her half-brothers or had the joy of raising them if her grandmother had found her before she died. "The longer she basked in this God moment, the more she saw His great effort to bring vessels of love into her life." And the more determined she becomes to be that kind of vessel herself. What a wonderful scene of transparent honesty! It made me wonder about some of my own complaints, and confess my earthbound views of life at times.

This book has a predictable ending, but the winding path getting there is anything but. "As the Tide Comes In" is a love story with substance and purpose. Some parts are a bit more mystical than I am personally comfortable with, but it is a keeper I will enjoy reading again.

I received an uncorrected proof of this book from the author, but was not required to post a review.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As the Tide Comes In.

June 1, 2018 – Shelved